Bugging Out! A Poster Gallery

BUGGIN
Stock up on insecticide! Lock your doors!! Bolt those windows!!! Tonight TCM is unleashing a horrific horde of creepy, crawling monstrous critters into your home with a hair-raising line-up of bug movies. The fright-filled programming begins at 8PM EST (5PM PST) with the premiere of THE FLY (1958) featuring master of menace, Vincent Price as well as Patricia Owens and Al aka David Hedison. Shot in Cinemascope and lush Technicolor by director Kurt Neumann (ISLAND OF LOST MEN; 1939, ROCKET SHIP X-M; 1950, KRONOS; 1957, Etc.) with help from his talented cohort, cinematographer Karl Struss, THE FLY is easily one of the best-looking science fiction films of the 1950s. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see this box office hit that cemented Vincent Price’s place in the hallowed horror hall of fame, you’re in for a terrifying treat. After THE FLY attacks, you can look forward to being accosted by giant angry ants in THEM! (1954) followed by some deadly stings from THE WASP WOMAN (1960) and THE SWARM (1978). The evening comes to a pest-infested end with COSMIC MONSTERS (1958).

In an effort to entice viewers, I’ve compiled a Bugging Out movie poster gallery crammed with ghoulish graphics from around the world. But be forewarned! These posters are not for the faint of heart or tepid in spirit so approach with caution or at the very least, bring along a large can of Raid.

THE FLY (1958)

swarmp3
swarmp4
swarmp2

COSMIC MONSTER (1958)*

cosmicp2
cosmicp1
If you enjoyed this poster gallery please check out some of other movie poster galleries Ive compiled including Hammer Noir: A Poster Gallery, British Science Fiction: A Poster Gallery and Tom Chantrell: Illustrator of Nightmares.

*Also featured in British Science Fiction: A Poster Gallery

11 Responses Bugging Out! A Poster Gallery
Posted By Ben Martin : June 18, 2015 6:54 pm

What fun — The global marketing approaches for THE FLY are fascinating. – And the film itself? don’t get me started.

“Mommy told me about Daddy,” young Phillipe says to his uncle, Vincent Price, with mom nearby. “Something she said to ask you: why did he have to die?” Perhaps if this scene were missing, or if Price’s answer weren’t so beautifully delivered, or if I hadn’t so closely identified with Charles Herbert when I first saw this as an eight year old, the film wouldn’t mean so much to me now, and I wouldn’t have gone to bed so satisfied and so at peace so many years ago – even after the household horrors I’d just sat through. (I was used to castles and cemeteries – this was something new and wonderful – and certainly NOT an “atomic mutation” as one poster claims.)

Rather than respond with the dreaded “he tampered in God’s domain” shtick, the ideology supported here is one of necessary dangers in the name of progress and the betterment of mankind. “He was like an explorer…searching for the truth. The search for the truth is the most important thing in the world, and the most dangerous.”

“I’d like that. I’d like to be an explorer like him,” says Phillipe.

Wouldn’t we all?

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : June 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Thanks for the (truly) lovely comment, Ben! I couldn’t agree more. THE FLY is one of my favorite films from the 50s for a number of reasons, including James Clavell’s terrific script. Some call it campy but I find it extremely thoughtful and as you pointed out, progressive in some ways.

Posted By Ben Martin : June 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Oh mine too as you can tell. One of those reasons, and there are many, is Patricia Owens. Fresh from losing Marlon Brando to a Japanese actress in Josh Logan’s 1957 hit Sayonara, she plays so remarkably well in The Fly – this time losing her man to the more frightening but no less formidable rival – weird science.

Don’t you think the film really belongs to her? Her performance, her range is as wide and good as any by a female lead in a horror film. Warmth, pain, horror, agony, despair, joy – she has to even feign madness at one point, and be a strong and loving mother and wife another. That’s probably why my favorite of The Fly posters above is the one with her face front and center. Here’s to you Patricia Owens, wherever you are.

Posted By Susan Doll : June 21, 2015 3:19 pm

The poster for THE WASP WOMEN weirded me out, big time!

Posted By swac44 : June 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Yup, as soon as I started scrolling, I knew The Wasp Woman had to be on there. One of my favourite ’50s chillers!

Posted By swac44 : June 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Maybe I’ll have to find a way to get The Deadly Mantis to come over.

Posted By Autist : June 22, 2015 10:03 pm

“Of course, with a couple of days of this gallery being posted, our condo was blessed with its first-ever ants invasion! Now I’m going to have to re-watch THEM! to see if there are any good eradication tips.”

Sure: flamethrower.

Posted By Glenn G, : June 24, 2015 3:26 am

I’d also like to mention that Mothra (1961) [the Japanese version] aired between The Fly and Them!. But disappointingly, the TCM on-screen info listed it as starring Okira Takarada(sic) and Yukiko Hoshi(sic). I’m assuming it was meant to read Akira Takarada and Yuriko Hoshi, but neither were in Mothra. They were in fact the co-stars of Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964).

Posted By Kevin : June 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Did anyone else have a problem with their cable’s TCM ON DEMAND showing of Mothra cutting off after 46 minutes?

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : June 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Glenn & Kevin – If you have complaints or concerns about programming I suggest taking them to the TCM Message Boards. I can’t offer any help here at the blog but you should be able to get help there: http://forums.tcm.com/

Posted By Richard Harland Smith : June 24, 2015 4:57 pm

God, these are wonderful. Paper my coffin with atomic horror movie posters. On the inside, of course.