2012 DVD/Blu-Ray Wrap-Up

It is customary at year’s end to publish various “Best of” lists, to sum up The Year That Was as only a list can.  In that spirit, I offer up my own Best Videos of 2012.  These are the discs that genuinely made my heart flutter and my pulse quicken, which I purchased the instant I heard they existed and watched the instant they arrived.  This is not so much a Best Of list as it is a tour through the inside of my head:

DVDs:

51Oqed8vyKL._SL500_AA300_

BUSTER KEATON AT MGM TRIPLE FEATURE

The three titles on this set are: Parlor Bedroom and Bath, Speak Easily, and Passionate Plumber.  In other words—2/3 of this set has been available before in wretched quality PD editions and 100% of the set consists of movies that even Buster’s fans thinks he shouldn’t have made.  And I’m picking it as my Best of 2012.

Right.

But that’s the genius of Warner Archive—the DVD market is collapsing at large, and even archival releases of this highest profile have trouble.  There’s no way the mainstream marketplace would support this—even among the natural audience for archival releases, these movies are hard to sell.  But thanks to Warner Archive’s oblivious disregard for market realities, people like me who enjoy even Buster’s rougher outings can enjoy a beautiful print of Passionate Plumber, in all its gonzo glory.  (For the record—the rest of Buster’s MGM talkies are also available from Warner Archive as well, in individual editions).

51aa91qqI6L._SL500_AA300_

THE VITAPHONE COMEDY COLLECTION VOLUME ONE 1932-1934

What this is, y’see, is 352 minutes of comedy shorts starring either Roscoe Arbuckle or Shemp Howard.  I’d seen some of these on appalling bootlegs before but getting this in a proper DVD (thanks Warner Archive, yet again!) means I now own this:

[wpvideo ZgJPsEDc]

Yes, that’s Jimmy Stewart, on the start of his Hollywood career, when no one yet realized his prospects and figured the best thing to do with this gangly stutterer was to drop him into a slapstick two-reeler so he could get slapped around by a Stooge!

Speaking of Stooges:

51QXXaUegwL._SL500_AA300_

THE THREE STOOGES: RARE TREASURES FROM THE COLUMBIA PICTURES VAULT

This has been available before, as a bonus disc included in a Three Stooges box set, but because most Stooge-maniacs bought the individual sets as they came out, and didn’t feel like double-dipping, there was strong clamoring for a standalone release, which Columbia finally granted this year.

Now, there have been collections before that billed themselves as Three Stooges Rarities or some similarly phrased notion.  Most of those previous collections focused on the usual suspects of the Three Stooges’ public domain shorts—the exact opposite of rarities.  Well, take note: when Columbia says this is a set of rarities, they mean it.

Most of this material will be absolutely new to even the most ardent and hardcore Stooge-a-phile.  There are lots of solo shorts with Shemp (there’s no overlap with the Vitaphone set—Shemp was a prolific comedian who made solo shorts for more than one studio), solo shorts with Joe Besser and Joe DeRita, cartoons in which Stooge caricatures appear, and a brace of feature films.

chase

CHARLIE CHASE SHORTS VOLUME 1

Well, this is cheating.  It wasn’t even released in 2012 at all—it comes out next week.  And Sony doesn’t seem to be able to spell Charley Chase correctly.  But indulge me—and let me tell you the story behind this.

Back in 2008, I was producing a box set of Chase’s early comedies, and I was trying to coordinate the efforts of several different media companies so that we together, collectively, presented the bulk of Chase’s extant body of work to the public and with a minimum of double-dipping and overlap.

The original plan was this: I was producing Becoming Charley Chase, a 4 disc set that focused on Chase’s earliest films.  Then, between them, Milestone and Kino were going to present Chase’s 2 reel silent shorts from Hal Roach.  The talkie Hal Roach shorts were intended to come out courtesy Serge Bromberg, and the Columbia talkies were going to come from Columbia/Sony.

But it all fell apart.  I got Becoming Charley Chase out, and Kino produced two sets of Hal Roach Chase silent shorts, but Milestone’s Cut to the Chase got stalled for years thanks to the untimely death of Rusty Casselton, and only just arrived in stores this year (and with an unfortunately heavy overlap with Kino’s sets).  The Hal Roach talkies are MIA.  And when Sony’s DVD release of Buster Keaton’s Columbia talkies sank like a rock, the corporate support for continued comedy sets evaporated.

Then a miracle happened—some Chase shorts were scheduled to be screened at Cinecon, and Sony was obliged to strike new prints to accommodate the rental.  As routine archive policy, when the materials were accessed to make the prints, digital copies were mastered as well.  So Sony found themselves with digital masters of several Chase shorts which they’d already paid for—making MOD discs available through their website didn’t take any extra effort or expense, so it was really a no-brainer.

There are still Chase Columbias waiting to see the light of day, and the Hal Roach shorts haven’t been officially released on home video ever in any format, but we can grateful for what we have (and hope that sales of the various Chase sets currently available help prove the viability of future releases)

51iyFpfWImL._SL500_AA300_

BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR

Here’s another Warner Archive argument-ender.

On paper, this may sound enticing: Orson Welles narrates a documentary about the origins of the Looney Tunes, with archival footage from behind the scenes at Termite Terrace laced between selected Warner Brothers cartoons.  But in practice even I’ll admit this is slapdash—it seems like a half-finished documentary narrated by Friz Freleng ran into some kind of production difficulty and Orson Welles got roped in to add some additional framing narration to spackle over the gaps.  Which is actually kind of appropriate, when you think about it, given Welles’ own history with unfinished films and the haphazard air at Termite Terrace.  Still, this is a bit of a missed opportunity.  Serious cartoon fans will already have these shorts in other collections (maybe even Blu-Ray), and will probably find the behind the scenes material unsatisfying—it’s a long tease, an appetizer to a menu never served.

That being said, I have powerfully vivid memories of my parents taking me to see this when I was a small child.  I thought it might have been a dream, or a badly remembered experience of some other experience, until I got this disc and was overwhelmed by nostalgia.

Like the Buster Keaton set above, this is Warner Archive marketing something that probably I alone care that much about.  In any business model other than MOD (Made On Demand) DVD, it wouldn’t make any sense.

41hzpUL7NlL._SL500_AA300_

JOLLY FROLICS COLLECTION

Speaking of cartoons, UPA Studios had the distinction of making high-art ‘toons that won awards and influenced others, but weren’t the laugh-getting trendsetters of Warner, MGM, or Disney.  Their influence is palpable—you can see the moment in Looney Tunes when suddenly the artists loosened up and started making more abstract backgrounds, to compete with the UPA upstarts—but they’ve never been Boomerang mainstays.  In fact, for a too long, they’ve been out of public view altogether—until TCM brought out this sumptuous box set, with bonus material by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck (who are precisely the two people who should have been tapped to do this—nailed it).

Blu-Rays:

30777_large

RUGGLES OF RED GAP – MASTERS OF CINEMA BLU RAY

Lord love Masters of Cinema.  If you live in the US and don’t have region-free capabilities, then you may not know of them—I know they’d be annoyed at being called the UK version of Criterion Collection, but that’s the most efficient way of describing them.  Ruggles is one of my favorite screwball classics, and features one of the best single scenes in all of talkie comedy.

[wpvideo hagyn0XA]

I’ve run this clip before, and I promise I’ll run it again some day.  Here you have one of the great screwballs, directed by Leo McCarey at the height of his powers and an all-star cast, and then all of a sudden supporting players Roland Young and Leila Hyams for no apparent reason commandeer the stage and steal the show.

51LCDzTFIrL._SL500_AA300_

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS – OLIVE BLU RAY

I’ve been giving a lot of love to Warner Archive this week, but there’s another label that deserves attention.  In case you haven’t heard of them yet, Olive Films is an indie label focused on bringing the best of arthouse, foreign, and archival films to Blu-Ray (and DVD).  Plus, they’re based in Illinois—go home team!  They are what I wanted All Day to be—expect they appear successful, rather than ramshackle.  They have a fabulous, eclectic catalog—to quote my daughter, “I want these things in my life.”.  I still treasure my DVD edition of Invasion of the Body Snatchers—it was signed by Kevin McCarthy—but it’s gonna spend the rest of its existence on the shelf because I’ll be watching this gorgeous high-definition version instead.

512vwif4Q-L._SL500_AA300_

BOUND BLU RAY

Just because most of the things on this list are black and white oldies doesn’t mean my tastes are limited to that. In fact, Blu-Rays of more recent movies are a better use of the format.  And there aren’t many filmmakers more aware of the intricacies and textures of modern cinema than the Wachowskis.

I first saw Bound on laserdisc, and have been patiently waiting for it to show up on DVD, but for some reason this fun early work by the makers of The Matrix and Cloud Atlas became as obscure as some of the lost treasures of the 1920s and 30s I’m usually hunting.  Its appearance on Blu-Ray is way overdue, and very welcome.  Jennifer Tilley plays a mob wife who starts to scheme against her dangerous spouse once she strikes up a lesbian affair with handy(wo)man Gina Gershon.  It’s got the attitude of a 1940s film noir but handles content no 40s film would have dared, and does so with absolute swaggering confidence.

61PsSCkuLYL._SL500_AA300_

GOJIRA – CRITERION BLU RAY

OK, maybe it’s a bit egotistical to call this out as a “Best of” when I worked on it, but so what?  My friends at Criterion completely killed with this one, and I’m super-proud of having contributed to this definitive presentation of such an important, influential, and beloved film.  And, just as an aside, I used to say that my commentaries on this set represented my “retirement” from the audio commentary business.  But I may just be getting back in the game for one last big score—keep watching this space through 2013 for details.

0 Response 2012 DVD/Blu-Ray Wrap-Up
Posted By Nick : December 29, 2012 8:35 am

David, I love most of the films you do commentaries for but I’m half ashamed to admit I usually enjoy the commentaries themselves even more than the feature! Hearing you’re still in the game is worthy of celebration.

Posted By Nick : December 29, 2012 8:35 am

Posted By Bill : December 29, 2012 10:13 am

All great selections. I would also mention the 2 new Forbidden Hollywood collections from Warner Archive, and the 2 Sony/Columbia Collections, Precode and Early Capra.

Posted By Bill : December 29, 2012 10:13 am

Posted By robbushblog : December 29, 2012 2:13 pm

A fine and very enlightening list. I didn’t know there was so much of the old, old stuff being made available. I think it’s great.

Leila Hyams. Wow! She is sexy as heck in that scene.

And Bound is great. I love the look and the way it’s shot.

Posted By robbushblog : December 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Leila Hyams. Wow! She is sexy as heck in that scene.

And Bound is great. I love the look and the way it’s shot.

Posted By Tom S : December 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Aw, man, I wish you had gotten back in for MoC’s Nibelungen release- they said that they couldn’t think of anyone else who could hold together a six hour long commentary on that kind of thing, so they just did without. Still, that’s exciting as heck!

I feel as though the TCM Vault collection doesn’t get enough credit as a major source for bound DVDs, with extras, of hard to find material- just this year, they put out The Phantom Lady and The Blue Dahlia in one set, Five Graves to Cairo in another, and The Bitter Tea of General Yen in a third. It’s basically a continuation of the great sets Sony was putting out for a little while, only now for some reason they’re secret.

I’m also impressed by Flicker Alley- their blu of The Most Dangerous Game is gorgeous and has some of the best extras (including an entire second film, Gow the Headhunter- one of those things that’s an invaluable document but which absolutely requires the commentary they put with it to contextualize the hideous racism) and their Soviet Silent set is the kind of thing I thought didn’t come out anymore.

Posted By Tom S : December 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Posted By DevlinCarnate : December 29, 2012 2:29 pm

it’s good to see Shemp getting his due,even as a kid watching the Stooges after school,he was always my favorite,some of the later shorts they made after Curly retired have an almost surrealistic feel about them,largely in part to Shemp

Posted By DevlinCarnate : December 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Posted By Doug : December 29, 2012 2:46 pm

“as it is a tour through the inside of my head”
It’s scary inside your hear, David-nobody has any knees.
a great post; the major treats for me were Jimmy Stewart getting Shemped and being introduced to Leila Hyams in that Ruggles clip. Roland Young is always good, but she was so natural, ‘real’ in her conversation with Young-I just peeked at her IMDB page-made her last movie in 1936 and was married to only one husband for 50 years? An amazing woman.
Of the movies you highlight, “Invasion Of The Body Snatchers” is the most tempting for me. I like comedies just fine, but if Olive Films has done up “Invasion” in a good Bluray…I’m there.

Posted By Doug : December 29, 2012 2:46 pm

“as it is a tour through the inside of my head”
It’s scary inside your hear, David-nobody has any knees.

Posted By Lamar : December 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Warner Archive must be doing something right-they keep expanding and expanding their choice of offerings. This wouldn’t be happening if it wasn’t successful. Perhaps the marketing realities (as spelled out by 20-something studio marketing types who can’t conceive of a market for “old stuff”) are wrong. They do excel at marketing the home video versions of hit movies though, surely a difficult task.

Posted By Lamar : December 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Posted By Tom S : December 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Olive’s released a bunch of pretty amazing blus this year- Body Snatchers, yes, but also the Welles Macbeth, Nick Ray’s Johnny Guitar, the Polonsky double feature of Force of Evil and Body and Soul, Ophul’s Letter from an Unknown Woman, Elaine May’s A New Leaf, Ford’s Rio Grande (and soon The Quiet Man), and Lang’s Secret Behind the Door. That’s a hell of a year.

Though I wish they’d include subtitles, and take extras when they’re already sitting there (like Tag Gallagher’s visual essay on Letter from an Unknown Woman.)

Posted By Tom S : December 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Posted By James : December 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Olive Films also released Blu Rays of My Son John and The Sterile Cuckoo this year – two films I’ve been interesting in seeing for years now, the former in particular thanks to Jonathan Rosenbaum’s writing on it. They’ve definitely become one of my new favorite home video companies (along with Shout! Factory’s new horror film line, Scream! Factory).

Posted By James : December 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Posted By kimalysong : December 29, 2012 10:40 pm

I love Ruggles of Red Gap had no idea it had a DVD/BR release but then I see it is from the UK. I might get it (since I do have region free capabilities) but then I have a whole list of things I want to import from the UK so it might have to wait.

Actually I want to plan a trip to the UK in a year or so, maybe I will just pick everything up then. :)

Posted By kimalysong : December 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Posted By Jonathan Melville : December 30, 2012 8:26 am

Warner Archive are doing an excellent job, as are Masters of Cinema – I have a review copy of their upcoming Fear and Desire Blu-ray sitting beside the TV.

kimalysong – Amazon.co.uk is probably the best place to buy their discs, many UK shops don’t stock them or if they do they’re not as cheap as online.

Posted By Jonathan Melville : December 30, 2012 8:26 am

Posted By Jonathan Melville : December 30, 2012 8:27 am

PS – David, please return to the world of DVD commentaries if the opportunity arises, your presence often sways my decision to buy a disc…

Posted By Jonathan Melville : December 30, 2012 8:27 am

Posted By swac44 : December 30, 2012 10:29 am

I too have fond memories of Bugs Bunny Superstar, and was happy when it was first released … on laserdisc (and VHS too, of course). But it seems times have changed and buyers are fickle, and stuff that would have been considered top shelf stuff at retail is now relegated to mail-order only MOD or special edition status. Sometimes it’s hard for even the most devoted fan to keep tabs on what’s coming out since very little of this stuff is readily at hand, for example I try to keep up with Olive’s releases, but had no idea they’d put out Welles’ Macbeth, so I guess I’d better get on that.

(Sometimes it’s the labels’ fault though, I signed up for Warner Archives’ newsletter, and have never received a single message from them. I’m sure they would have gotten a lot more money out of me if they’d kept me posted about what they’ve issued in the series. Luckily there are sites like Digital Bits, DVD Savant, and even the Morlocks to let me know what I should be looking for.)

Posted By swac44 : December 30, 2012 10:29 am

Posted By mErocrush : December 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Your commentaries on Godzilla made my Classic Video version obsolete…but it worked out, because I was able to give the CM version to my SO in Norway…everybody happy! Now if you can only convince Criterion to work their magic on ‘Matango’ ‘Human Vapour’ and ‘H-Man’….

Posted By mErocrush : December 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Posted By robbushblog : December 31, 2012 4:04 am

I have signed up to receive emails from Warner Archives no less than 6 times and have yet to get the first one! What the heck is up with that?

Posted By robbushblog : December 31, 2012 4:04 am

Posted By Jeffrey Ford : December 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice to know that my taste is as good as yours (or not — as some might tell me — after all, I loved THREE’S A CROWD too!). I got both the Keaton and Vitaphone Comedy DVDs for Christmas, and I love them both (I wanted to see all the Arbuckle talkie shorts since I caught IN THE DOUGH on TNT back in 1991 — as filler after a showing of Marion Davies’ 1929 MARIANNE). Now all I have to do is break down and finally buy the Criterion GODZILLA… I keep telling myself that I’m going to get it simply for the visual upgrade and the doubtless magnificent Kalat commentary, but it sadly hasn’t worked out up to now.

Posted By Jeffrey Ford : December 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Posted By Richard B : January 1, 2013 6:15 am

I got to speak with Mel Blanc when he visited our campus, and he wasn’t too keen on BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR, particularly how it had Bob Clampett representing the Warners animation team. If you really couldn’t get Jones or Freleng, some of us would as soon have had Avery or Tashlin.

Posted By Richard B : January 1, 2013 6:15 am

Posted By Doug : January 5, 2013 1:37 am

David, thank you for recommending “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”-I got it, and just now finished watching.
A great movie which looks and sounds fantastic on Blu Ray.
Kevin McCarthy was exceptional, but all of the cast did great
work, and Don Siegel’s direction was spot on.
I’m very pleased to add this movie to my collection-thanks again!

Posted By Doug : January 5, 2013 1:37 am

A great movie which looks and sounds fantastic on Blu Ray.
Kevin McCarthy was exceptional, but all of the cast did great
work, and Don Siegel’s direction was spot on.
I’m very pleased to add this movie to my collection-thanks again!

Posted By Alan : January 7, 2013 5:53 pm

I love the classic movie release recap.

Posted By Alan : January 7, 2013 5:53 pm

I love the classic movie release recap.