Summer Reading

Above: Actress Merle Oberon enjoying a book while lounging around the pool

I do a lot of reading all year long but during the summer months I tend to set aside some extra time to catch up with the books that have accumulated on my shelves. This is partially due to a habit I developed as a child. While other kids were outside playing and enjoying the bright sunshine I could often be found in my bedroom pouring over a good book. Even when my family would go on vacation I would always stick a book in my suitcase or duffel bag. For better or worse, many of my fondest childhood memories involve books that I read during the sweltering summer months while on camping trips and during long plane flights to visit grandparents. This summer I’ve started habitually reading some interesting non-fiction film related books so I thought I’d share some recent discoveries.

Tab Hunter Confidential: The Making of a Movie Star (2005)
by Tab Hunter and Eddie Muller

Thanks to the ‘Teen Idol’ film series that aired on TCM last month I was reminded of how much I like Tab Hunter so it almost seemed like an act of fate when I came across an autographed copy of his autobiography nestled between a stack of dusty old books in a dimly lit antique shop a few weeks ago. Hunter’s book offers a surprisingly candid view of his early days as a teen idol through his later years as a cult icon working for directors like John Waters. The boyishly handsome actor openly discusses what it was like to be a gay man trying to establish himself in Hollywood at a time when he was forced to date female costars for carefully orchestrated publicity stunts while carrying on romantic relationships with other gay and bisexual men. The book does gloss over many of Hunter’s film roles and it’s often light on specific details but I appreciated his discretion and the respect Hunter displays for his professional and personal relationships. Hunter’s sense of humor and agreeable personality make this a quick and easy read but it’s also a fascinating historical document illustrating how homophobia shaped the early Hollywood movies we all watch and love.

Heroes of the Horrors (1975)
by Calvin Thomas Beck

I’m a sucker for books about horror movies. Particularly older books published during the ‘60s and ‘70s. They remind me of my childhood when I would scour my local library shelves for books about the monster movies and thrillers I grew up watching. Although I consider myself well read when it comes to classic horror films, I’d never come across Calvin Thomas Beck’s informative book before spotting a neglected copy sitting in the discount bin of a used bookshop. Heroes of the Horrors focuses on six iconic film stars; Lon Chaney Sr., Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney Jr. and Vincent Price and it’s chock-full of impressive black and white photographs. Each actor is given their own chapter in the book where the author discusses their lives in detail while focusing on their invaluable contributions to horror cinema. I was impressed with Calvin Thomas Beck’s knowledge and abundant affection for the performers he writes about. Heroes of the Horrors is never a dry or dull read and after finishing each chapter I was eager to revisit many of my favorite horror films. What better recommendation is that? I only wish I’d come across the book sooner.

Mas! Cine Mexicano: Sensational Mexican Movie Posters 1957 – 1990 (2007)
by Rogelio, Jr. Agrasanchez

My ever increasing appreciation for Mexican cinema and the lost art of the film poster led me to pick up this lush photo book at a used bookstore recently. Mas! Cine Mexicano: Sensational Mexican Movie Posters 1957 – 1990 traces more than 30 years of film history across all genres including crime films, westerns, comedies, horror movies, political dramas and numerous wrestling pictures that are fondly remembered by the author. The book is light on text but it’s a feast for the eyes. A quick flip threw the pages of Mas! Cine Mexicano will make you long for a time when film posters were more than just badly photo-shopped throwaway ads easily regulated to the trash heap of history.

Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family’s Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice (2012)
by Alisa Statman and Brie Tate

I recently came across this chronicle of Sharon Tate’s murder and its emotional aftermath while visiting my local library. At the time I didn’t know that Sharon Tate’s sister had denounced Restless Souls after its publication earlier this year but after trying to make way through this 400 page book I understood why. If there’s one thing that I find particularly off-putting about celebrity biographies, it’s when authors attempt to put their own thoughts in their deceased subject’s head and you’ll find a lot of that in Restless Souls. This becomes particularly unsettling when the authors decide to reenact Sharon Tate’s horrible murder offering up unnecessarily lurid details that appear to be mere fabrication and assumptions on their part. I was drawn to the material out of curiosity and I genuinely admire and appreciate Sharon Tate even though we lost her much too soon but I’m afraid that I can’t recommend Restless Souls. If you want to read an insightful and harrowing account of the events surrounding Tate’s tragic murder I recommend returning to Vincent Buglios and Curt Gentry’s Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders.

Big Bosoms and Square Jaws: The Biography of Russ Meyer, King of the Sex Film (2005)
by Jimmy McDonough

A book sale at the same library mentioned above uncovered this biography on the controversial director, Russ Meyer. As a female film journalist it’s not always easy defending Meyer’s films but I believe he was a talented filmmaker with a great eye for composition, skilled editing techniques and an unmistakable sense of humor. I’m only half way into Jimmy McDonough’s book but it’s been an enlightening read so far full of interesting anecdotes and lots of information about the director. Although the author clearly admires his subject he isn’t afraid to point out Meyer’s faults and paints a refreshingly human picture of a complex man who is mostly remembered today for his devotion to women’s cleavage. Russ Meyer’s movies aren’t for everyone and either is this very adult book. But Meyer’s creative ingenuity should be commended and Jimmy McDonough’s biography is an important compendium to Meyer’s body of work.

Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down: How One Generation of British Actors Changed the World (2012)
by Robert Sellers

Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down is Robert Sellers latest book detailing the adventurous lives of the bad boys of British cinema. While his earlier book, Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Burton, Harris, O’Toole and Reed focused more on their bad habits and hard lived lives, Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down hones in on the important contributions that actors like Albert Finney, Robert Shaw, Alan Bates, Peter O’Toole, Richard Harris, Sean Connery, Terence Stamp, Tom Courtenay and Michael Caine made to British cinema during the late fifties and throughout the sixties. The author does a stellar job of combining personal recollections, opinion and recorded history to present an insightful account of each actor’s personal triumphs and all too human failings. I hope to interview author Robert Sellers later this month and discuss Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down in more depth so keep your eye on the space for future updates. In the meantime you can find this book as well as all the others I listed at your local bookstores and libraries or you can order them directly online through sources like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Some are even available for the Kindle and Nook.

Doing any summer reading yourself? Feel free to share your own book recommendations below!

0 Response Summer Reading
Posted By Anonymous : July 5, 2012 2:04 pm

I just saw a new book at our local library that I plan on nabbing to read, Hedy’s Folly, by Richard Rhodes. It is about inventions actress Hedy Lamarr had a hand in creating, and also about her film career.

Posted By Anonymous : July 5, 2012 2:04 pm

Posted By robbushblog : July 5, 2012 2:15 pm

I was interested in the Sharon tate book until you told me about its stupid device.

Posted By robbushblog : July 5, 2012 2:15 pm

Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : July 5, 2012 2:43 pm

Russ Meyer was a true Auteur,if there ever was one.
Met him once, during a Double Feature of Mudhoney and Supervixens,in Cologne in the 80th.
There was a feminist Protest in front of the Cinema.
And during the Murder Scene in Supervixens,where Charles Napier
kills Shari Eubank,a young couple leaves the Cinema loud
protesting.
Meyer just sat there,smiling and total relext.
It looked like he loved that kind of reaction.
The rest of us cheers to this complete over the top insanity of cause.

Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : July 5, 2012 2:43 pm

Russ Meyer was a true Auteur,if there ever was one.
There was a feminist Protest in front of the Cinema.
And during the Murder Scene in Supervixens,where Charles Napier
kills Shari Eubank,a young couple leaves the Cinema loud
protesting.
Meyer just sat there,smiling and total relext.
It looked like he loved that kind of reaction.
The rest of us cheers to this complete over the top insanity of cause.

Posted By Andrew Monroe : July 5, 2012 2:47 pm

Yes, thanks for the alert on the Sharon Tate book, Kimberly. I’ll be giving that a pass now. Glad you are enjoying McDonough’s Meyer bio, it impressed me enough to buy another copy for a Christmas gift a few years ago. Check out his Andy Milligan biography if you haven’t already – The Ghastly One. Equally fascinating, if a good deal more grim at times.

Posted By Andrew Monroe : July 5, 2012 2:47 pm

Posted By MDR : July 5, 2012 3:04 pm

Kimberly,

Kudos just for sharing that picture of Merle Oberon; ooh la la! An under-appreciated (beauty) and actress, to be sure:

Mark

Posted By MDR : July 5, 2012 3:04 pm

Kimberly,

Mark

Posted By James : July 5, 2012 3:31 pm

Calvin Beck and Bhob Stewart collaborated on a sequel (of sorts), titled -Scream Queens: Heroines of the Horrors- (I have both).

It’s worth reading for fans of the genre as some of the actresses discussed arguably do not have anywhere near as much critical attention as Lugosi, Karloff, etc. Fay Wray, Mary Philbin, and Barbara Steele, among others, each get a chapter. If I remember correctly (it’s been awhile since I read it), -Scream Queens- opens with an interesting chapter on the *very* early days of film making in the studios of Ft. Lee, New Jersey

Posted By James : July 5, 2012 3:31 pm

Posted By Juana Maria : July 5, 2012 3:37 pm

Wow! What a collection of books! I like the ones called “the Heroes of Horror” and “Mas!Cine Mexicano”. I have already read a bio of Vincent Price from my local library a few years ago. I recommend it to those who are devoted fans. Unlike my Mom,every time she saw the cover of the book,she would gasp and say:”He is so ugly!” I thought and still think that was an unfair remark of Vincent Price but I don’t want my Mom to start thinking I’m in love with Vincent Price so I’ll just let her think is awful. If you read his bio you will find out,like I did, that he was a very genuine person and had deep friendships with others. His love letters are sweet! I so didn’t mention those to Mom! The other title:”Mas!Cine Mexicano” reminds of when TCM had a fiesta of Mexican cinema in the month of May 2005! I love that so much! I watched quite a lot of the films,I remember there being this old Pancho Villa movie. It was called:”Vamonos con Pancho Villa”. I really liked it. Though I’ll admit I like Pancho Villa stories,so I have watched several over the years and in English and/or Spanish. I don’t know about any good books for the summer just now,but I always look forward to “Summer Under the Stars” here on TCM! I love this channel! Adios amigos!

Posted By Juana Maria : July 5, 2012 3:37 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 3:44 pm

Anon – That Lamarr book sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rob – I wish I had known more about the book before I wasted time with it. I’m surprised by all the positive reviews & press it’s getting.

Ghijath – Meyer was an interesting character but he definitely divides audiences.

Andrew – I haven’t read McDonough’s Milligan bio but it sounds intriguing. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mark – Glad you liked the photo! I came across it awhile ago and I just needed an excuse to use it. She was lovely and very under-appreciated. No matter how many times they remake WUTHERING HEIGHTS, she’ll always be my Cathy.

James – I’m going to have to seek out HEROINES OF THE HORRORS now. It sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the rec!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 3:44 pm

Anon – That Lamarr book sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 4:05 pm

Juana – That comment about your mom is funny! I had the opposite thing happen in my own home regarding Vincent Price. My mom always thought of Price as a handsome leading man who should have been given more romantic roles while I grew up knowing him as a horror film star. He really was a versatile actor but for better or worse he got pigeonholed into bad guy roles.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 4:05 pm

Posted By JackFavell : July 5, 2012 4:35 pm

I’m sorry, but this is driving me crazy. Does anyone with better eyesight than I know what book Merle is reading?

Posted By JackFavell : July 5, 2012 4:35 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 4:42 pm

Jack – I zoomed in on the photo and I believe Merle’s reading “Nine Plays” By Eugene O’Neill.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 5, 2012 4:42 pm

Posted By JackFavell : July 5, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh thanks so much, what a relief to know! A little light summer reading, eh?

Posted By JackFavell : July 5, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh thanks so much, what a relief to know! A little light summer reading, eh?

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : July 5, 2012 8:09 pm

I wish Russ Meyer had finished his autobiograhy, which was to be in two large volumes, titled “A Clean Breast.” He was also going to cut all his films into a single, 8-hour epic. He said that he would simply cut out “..all the stupid parts where nobody was screwing or fighting.” Personally, I consider “Harry, Cherry and Raquel” to be one of cinema’s great underrated masterpieces. We shall not look upon his like again.

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : July 5, 2012 8:09 pm

Posted By robbushblog : July 5, 2012 9:40 pm

I must concur with MDR about Merle. Va va va voom! What a looker she was. I remember a story that the only time James Cagney ever cheated on his wife was once he walked into his dressing room and there lie a totally nude Merle Oberon, spread out on his couch. If she could weaken Cagney’s resolve I would have been putty. And proud to be so.

My summer reading is The Great Gatsby. I’ve been putting it off for about a month now. Maybe I’ll just wait for the movie. :)

Posted By robbushblog : July 5, 2012 9:40 pm

Posted By Doug : July 6, 2012 12:56 am

Summer reading-I remember having to share a book with my sister on a trip once-only one book,”Cheaper By The Dozen” and the rule was read a chapter and pass it over. Then wait.
I can offer up another good Summer read: “The First Time I Got Paid
For It…” subtitled “Writer’s tales from the Hollywood trenches”
edited by Peter Lefcourt and Laura J. Shapiro. Writers love to talk about their first sale/big break. Good stuff.

Posted By Doug : July 6, 2012 12:56 am

I can offer up another good Summer read: “The First Time I Got Paid
For It…” subtitled “Writer’s tales from the Hollywood trenches”

Posted By swac44 : July 6, 2012 10:37 am

Ever have so many books in your “to read” pile, you don’t know where to start? It seems most of my time these days is trying to clear my DVR of all the titles I’ve recorded off of TCM to make room for all the new-to-me titles I’ll be recording in August. Myrna Loy and Kay Francis films I haven’t seen yet? I see a few sleepless nights in my future. (Having said that, I still haven’t cracked the spine on that new Steve McQueen book Kimberley mentioned in her last book roundup, gotta get to that one, and rewatch some of the titles too. Still haven’t seen The Reivers!)

As for Meyer, I lucked into a cheap copy of the UK DVD box set that collects all his titles, minus the 20th Century Fox films, into one convenient package. I had one relationship come to an end after a screening of Supervixens, where my girlfriend at the time walked out partway through, and it sowed the seeds of some bad blood that contributed to its eventual demise. I guess she just didn’t want to be with someone who could enjoy “that garbage.” Oh well, onwards and upwards.

As for Mexican movie posters, they’re often incredibly striking, I must check out that book! Here’s a gallery of some, for anyone who’s interested:

Enjoy!

Posted By swac44 : July 6, 2012 10:37 am

Enjoy!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 6, 2012 3:35 pm

I appreciate all the comments and reading suggestions. Hadn’t heard the Cagney story before but Merle was obviously a bit of a vixen.

And speaking pf vixens… I’m sorry to hear you lost a girlfriend over a movie, swac. I have had my own confrontations with other women who find it appalling that I appreciate things like James Bond, horror movies and Clint Eastwood films, much less Russ Meyer so you have my sympathy.

Some great posters shared at that link so I hope some folks give it a look!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 6, 2012 3:35 pm

Some great posters shared at that link so I hope some folks give it a look!

Posted By robbushblog : July 6, 2012 3:43 pm

Do women not like James Bond movies? My mom saw every James Bond movie up until Pierce Brosnan took over. She likes Pierce Brosnan too, so I’m still not sure why she has never cared to see his Bond movies.

Posted By robbushblog : July 6, 2012 3:43 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 6, 2012 3:55 pm

Rob – I don’t like to generalize but there are some women (and men for that matter) who find the Bond films extremely sexist and belittling to women. I think some of that reaction is reasonable to an extent I suppose but when it comes to the early films, you have to be able to understand the culture that spawned them. The early Bond films are very much a product of the ’60s. Of course this doesn’t explain why your mom doesn’t like Brosnan’s Bond movies. I don’t care for them myself so I’m not the best person to ask but I also don’t care much for Brosnan. I’m afraid he’s my least favorite Bond.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : July 6, 2012 3:55 pm

Posted By Fred : July 6, 2012 5:35 pm

Here’s another recommendation for SCREAM QUEENS: HEROINES OF THE HORRORS. Calvin Beck used to be the editor of Castle of Frankenstein magazine which was like a more serious version of Famous Monsters. I also think the late actor Barry Brown may have contributed to HEROES OF THE HORRORS and SCREAM QUEENS (he contributed some reviews and articles of Castle of Frankenstein). I recall my copy of the latter book having a dedication or obituary to him.

Posted By Fred : July 6, 2012 5:35 pm

Posted By Phoebe : July 6, 2012 8:09 pm

I second the recommendation for the Hedy Lamarr book. It’s only half about her, but her co-inventor is pretty interesting too.

I am not a fan of the PB Bond, but am a huge fan of his performance in Matador.

I am very much looking forward to reading the Sellers book. I saw Billy Budd on dvd recently and the commentary track by Terrence Stamp and Steven Soderbergh — mostly Terrence Stamp — is the greatest commentary track I’ve ever seen/heard and I’ll now read anything about that guy.

Posted By Phoebe : July 6, 2012 8:09 pm

I am not a fan of the PB Bond, but am a huge fan of his performance in Matador.

Posted By Juana Maria : July 8, 2012 11:45 am

Kimberly:Thanks for writing me back! I have always thought Vincent Price had beautiful eyes! They looked silver! Wow! Anyway it is all a matter of taste,who we think is handsome. My twin sister loves James Bond films,Horror Films,such as those from Hammer Pictures,because of Christopher Lee of course;she will watch Clint Eastwood pictures but she is not as crazy about Westerns as I am. She and I did watch two of Russ Meyers’ films on TCM Underground years ago:”Mudhoney” and “Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill! Kill!” I still don’t understand what was going on in “Mudhoney” other than my sister saying:”That woman is nude!” I actually liked”Faster Pussycat” for some reason. Later I heard of a band of the same name! My sister is into all things hard rock and heavt metal so she got me into watching “That Metal Show”on VH1Classic. Maybe you should give a view too.

Posted By Juana Maria : July 8, 2012 11:45 am

Posted By kristydrums : July 8, 2012 4:20 pm

The Tab Hunter book sounds good. I too just read Hedy’s Folly. Was a quick – very interesting read. A little dense at times when describing the scientific aspects of her inventions – but overall, a fascinating story. They gloss over much of her personal life, since the book is focused on her career as an inventor. But it only left me wanting to read a biography on her life! Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted By kristydrums : July 8, 2012 4:20 pm

Posted By Heidi : July 9, 2012 12:23 pm

Ahh..summer reading! I too had a book in hand, no matter the time of year or the occasion. But summer time we would take trips to places out west, over the pond, south of the border, and I had my nose in a book the whole time. Grand Canyon? meh. Have Space Suit will Travel. Master of Sci-Fi here, space flight, ailens, you name it. A gigantic hole in the ground (that looks fake, by the way, no matter how you look at it. Even from inside it, on the back of a horse!) just wasn’t as exciting as space flight and adventure among the stars. Driving to Nebraska I nearly had my entire book collection with me! At least I didn’t miss anything between home and the people we were visiting! I am a bit more discerning these days, but I am still reading Heinlein! I received a book on Hitchcock movies for Christmas that I am still making my way though. And “Thank Heaven” Leslie Caron’s memoir was also a good Christmas present. I have a bunch of books on film or film stars, that I can’t remember right now, but I am going to look for the Tab Hunter one. I really like him and it sounds great! Also the Hedy book. Sounds really interesting. It can’t be any more dense that the stuff I read for work!

Posted By Heidi : July 9, 2012 12:23 pm

Posted By stefmagura : July 29, 2012 10:09 pm

@Kristydrums:

I just saw a listing recently for a book called Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr. Maybe that would be a good place to start.

Posted By stefmagura : July 29, 2012 10:09 pm