Come Back to the Screen, Harry Dean, Harry Dean

Though I am generally underwhelmed by comic-book blockbusters, Joss Whedon’s The Avengers rises above the other superhero films by style-less, no-name directors who tend to be mere pawns for studio execs. One of the movie’s assets is the appearance of notable character actors in small but meaningful roles. In past eras, character actors regularly filled out the casts of genre films, which helped make those movies that are formulaic in nature distinguishable and memorable. Sadly, contemporary Hollywood studios and filmmakers seldom use character actors to their best advantage, if at all.

In The Avengers, Powers Booth and Jerzy Skolimowski (also a writer and director) are recognizable in cameos, but a bonafide scene-stealing moment comes when Harry Dean Stanton encounters Bruce Banner just after he has created mayhem as the Hulk. Stanton plays a security guard in a sequence that Whedon wrote with the legendary character actor in mind. Stanton, who became a popular actor in the 1970s and 1980s, excels at playing wizened if quirky outsiders. The security guard’s casual acceptance of the nude Banner is a fitting reaction for Stanton’s type of character—a quirky individualist who has seen everything. His image informs his character, and those who recognize Stanton will get more out of the scene. The original scene was much longer as written, but ever-mindful of the studio execs, Whedon cut it down. He considers himself lucky that the studio let him keep the scene and that he was able to land Stanton for the role.

Stanton’s turn in The Avengers gave me cause to review the 86-year-old’s remarkable career and to ponder my favorite Harry Dean roles.

Born in Kentucky and raised in North Carolina, Stanton still retains a slight Southern accent—one of the many reasons I can’t resist his characters. After a stint in the navy as a ship’s cook, he tested into the Naval Air Corps. After three months at Case School of Applied Science in Cleveland, which was part of his training, he realized he was more interested in playing the drums than in being a pilot. He attended the University of Kentucky for three years, studying journalism and the radio arts. After his speech instructor cast him in a production of Pygmalion, Stanton knew he wanted to be an actor. He left college without looking back, noting in an interview for Stopsmiling magazine that he “never wanted to finish any college or school. I started being rebellious at an early age. I didn’t like authority of any kind . . . . No bosses.” Small wonder he was so admired by the directors of the Film School Generation.

HARRY DEAN AS A BEATNIK IN ‘THE MAN FROM THE DINERS CLUB’

During the 1950s, Stanton attended the accredited acting school at the Pasadena Playhouse alongside Robert Duvall and Gene Hackman. The actors of his generation were drawn to the new style of acting called the Method, and despite his love of the Playhouse, he moved to New York and signed up with Stella Adler. However, according to Harry Dean, he never attended one class. By 1957, he had returned to California and joined the Screen Actors Guild. He landed small roles in two westerns, Tomahawk Trail and Revolt at Fort Laramie, in which he was billed as Dean Stanton. He alternated between character roles in films and television series throughout the 1960s, often playing bad guys. Stanton once speculated that he was cast as villains because he was good at exuding menace, a result of his own pent-up anger at the time. But, I remember him from this period in the Danny Kaye comedy The Man from the Diners Club in which he played a beatnik, a part that suited him and prefigured his later penchant for offbeat outsider roles.

HAMMING IT UP IN A CAMEO IN  ‘ANGER MANAGEMENT’ STARRING PAL JACK NICHOLSON.

During the 1960s, Harry Dean met Jack Nicholson, and the two became lifelong friends. Stanton attended Nicholson’s wedding to Shirley Knight, and then lived with the actor when the marriage didn’t work out. When Nicholson and Stanton worked in the western Ride the Whirlwind, Harry Dean learned there was more to acting than just landing a job. Nicholson advised him to let the costume do the acting, advice Jack has given to other actors over the years. The point is not to be facetious but to suggest that good actors should simply “be” the character, not act a part. Stanton and Nicholson have appeared together in other films over the years, most notably The Missouri Breaks by Arthur Penn and the underrated The Pledge directed by Sean Penn.

Stanton landed small roles in landmark films of the early Film School Generation, including Cool Hand Luke and The Godfather, Part II, but it wasn’t until the early 1980s that he gained a growing recognition and popularity among mainstream movie-goers. At the time, mainstream audiences for popular Hollywood films had grown up on the work of mavericks like Scorsese, Coppola, Polanski, Penn, and DePalma as well as that of more commercial directors such as Sidney Pollack, whose films were smartly written and intended for adult audiences. Given the maturity and movie-going experience of the mainstream audience of that era, compared to today’s demographic of adolescent males, it is not surprising to me that movie lovers would embrace a unique cinematic presence like Harry Dean Stanton. And, the era proved to be the high point of his career in terms of working in key films by major directors: He appeared in everything from Scorsese’s Last Temptation of Christ to John Hughes’s Pretty in Pink.

HARRY DEAN MEETS THE  ‘ALIEN.’

Stanton has not stopped acting as evidenced from his costarring role in the television series Big Love, his voice work in the animated feature Rango, and his appearances in four upcoming films. But, age has slowed him down, and he rarely acts in commercial Hollywood features. I miss him, as I do other colorful and talented character actors. Below are my five favorite Harry Dean roles.

ALIEN (Ridley Scott, 1979).  Stanton and Yaphet Kotto play the two blue-collar mechanics aboard the ill-fated Nostromo who were at odds with the more educated crew members. Their presence brought a class issue to the subtext of the film as well as a touch of humor. Of course, Stanton’s most memorable scene is his search for Jonesy, the ship’s cat, which results in his blood-chilling demise as the first victim of the full-grown alien. The box office success of Alien proved to be a major boost to Stanton’s career.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (John Carpenter, 1981). This is my favorite John Carpenter film, largely because of the cast, which includes the criminally underrated Kurt Russell, Ernest Borgnine, Isaac Hayes, Donald Pleasance, Lee Van Cleef, Harry Dean Stanton, and Adrienne Barbeau, who could eat alive the rail thin, nondescript, look-alike young female “stars” of today. Harry Dean costars as Brain, the goofy scientist who works for a criminal mastermind known as the Duke of New York, played by Hayes. Stanton must have thought he hit the jack pot when busty Barbeau was cast as his main squeeze, but she only had eyes for Carpenter.

AS TRAVIS HENDERSON IN ‘PARIS, TEXAS,’ PERHAPS HIS MOST CHALLENGING ROLE

PARIS, TEXAS (Wim Wenders, 1984). Stanton stars in one of his few leading roles as Travis Henderson, a long-missing man who wanders out of the desert one day. He remembers nothing of his former life, and his attempts to return to the fold of his family are futile. The role takes great advantage of Stanton’s perpetually haggard appearance and expressive eyes, because Travis doesn’t speak a word for the first half of the film. The part was written for Stanton by Sam Shepard after a conversation in a bar in New Mexico in which Harry Dean expressed a desire for more meaningful roles. Director Wim Wenders allowed Stanton input into the casting, and he selected Dean Stockwell to play his brother. An odd choice, Stockwell was out of the acting game at the time and selling real estate. Plus, Stanton had met him only once in a chance encounter in a restaurant years earlier, but he felt the two had bonded and were kindred spirits.

REPO MAN (Alex Cox, 1984). It became a measure of hipness to sing the praises of Harry Dean Stanton after his costarring role in Repo Man, alongside Emilio Estevez. Stanton plays a veteran car thief and repossession agent named Bud, who teaches Otto, played by Estevez, the ins and outs of the marginal, nocturnal lifestyle of the repo man. A cult classic, Repo Man established director Alec Cox’s reputation as a talented indie director. It was coproduced by former Monkee Michael Nesmith.

KRIS KRISTOFFERSON AND HARRY DEAN SING TOGETHER IN ‘CISCO PIKE.’

CISCO PIKE (B. L. Norton, 1972). Though not one of the best films in Stanton’s career, I like the way writer-director B.L. Norton captures the counterculture milieu of Los Angeles in the 1960s—an era when the drug scene and the entertainment industry were intricately intertwined. The main characters suffer the consequences of a drug-related lifestyle, but the film neither condemns nor condones it. It simply reveals it as a matter of course, making Cisco Pike a snapshot of another era’s values, morals, and standards. Kris Kristofferson stars in the title role as a former rock star reduced to selling his guitar after being busted for selling drugs. He vows to return to the music scene, but his former life pulls him back, especially after the re-appearance of fellow musician and drug addict Jesse Dupre, played by Stanton. In real life, Harry Dean is a singer and musician, and this film took advantage of his musical talents, showing Kristofferson and Stanton performing together.

0 Response Come Back to the Screen, Harry Dean, Harry Dean
Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : June 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah,Stanton.
Loved him in the Hellman Films.
The laid back Outlaw in Ride the Whirlwind.
The shy Gambler in Cockfighter(one of my all time favs)
Did you see 92 in the Shade.I never saw it.
Oates,Stanton and Spinell in one Movie must be some kind
of great.

Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : June 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah,Stanton.
Loved him in the Hellman Films.
The laid back Outlaw in Ride the Whirlwind.
The shy Gambler in Cockfighter(one of my all time favs)
Did you see 92 in the Shade.I never saw it.
Oates,Stanton and Spinell in one Movie must be some kind
of great.

Posted By Ugly Bug : June 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Spotting Stanton in The Avengers was a joy. I hope the extended scene shows up on the DVD extras.

Stanton made guest appearances on both of my favorite TV westerns, The Rifleman and Laramie. The fact that he’s still working today is awe-inspiring.

Thanks for the excellent tribute!

Posted By Ugly Bug : June 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks for the excellent tribute!

Posted By Lisa W. : June 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Oh, how I love Harry Dean! He always seems to be bringing perspective to a film in his roles and his Avengers turn is no exception. I cannot believe he’s 86, making me extra glad to hear I will get to see him in a few more films to be released. Multi-talented and interesting actor— thanks for the great post!

Posted By Lisa W. : June 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Posted By Susan Doll : June 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Happy to hear from other Harry Dean fans and glad you all recognized him in THE AVENGERS!

Ghijath Naddaf: I have seen 92 IN THE SHADE. It’s been 5 or 6 years, so the details escape me but I remember liking the film, though it had its weaknesses.

Posted By Susan Doll : June 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : June 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Somehow, the early Stanton role that sticks in my memory is from the 1961 Gunsmoke episode, “Old Yellow Boots,” in which he played the hapless Leroy Parker, whose voracious sister hired killers to do away with him and anyone else standing in the way of her inheriting the ranch. It was one of the most jaw-droppingly cynical scripts in an era when Gunsmoke had a lot of them. The killers referred to their victim as “poor old Leroy.”

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : June 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Posted By Jenni : June 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Harry Dean Stanton-I recognized him immediately when I saw The Avengers. He is a solid actor, always giving a great performance in the parts he plays. I’ve been watching Have Gun will Travel on You Tube, and he’s been on several of those episodes, as you said, playing a bad guy. My husband’s favorite role of HDS’s is in the film, Red Dawn, that film where only a handful of teens can outsmart and try to defeat the commies who have taken over the entire USA! “Avenge Me!!!!!”, I believe, is the line HDS shouts to his defiant sons, as they have managed to sneak in to see him at the POW camp, where all the dads of their town have been taken.

Posted By Jenni : June 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Posted By AL : June 11, 2012 4:49 pm

one of the truly great character actors

Posted By AL : June 11, 2012 4:49 pm

one of the truly great character actors

Posted By Juana Maria : June 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Susan Doll: I don’t know how you do it but you manage to write spot on about my favorite actors and other subjects! I know there have been other writers on these blogs writing more and more about character actors which just thrills me!! I have seen so many Harry Dean Stanton performances. I have seen him on “The Rifleman”,”Gunsmoke”,”Bonanza”,”The Big Valley” and “The Andy Griffith Show”. That just some of his TV work. I have also seen a ton of his films! Yes, he appeared in quite a few movies with that crazy(but I love him anyway) Warren Oates!Ghijath Naddaf h said that he hasn’t seen “92 in the Shade”, I have seen a little of it and would like to see the whole movie one day…hint,hint TCM. The first time I ever noticed Harry Dean Stanton was actually thanks to my twin sister when we were watching “Cool Hand Luke”,and she says”That’s Harry Dean Stanton,he is the sick prisioner that can’t take the heat.” I will also never forget his singing in the film either. It’s not quite as good as Warren Oates or Rex Holman. You should hear them sing! Talking of singing makes me think of Bob Dylan! Oh! Stanton is in the film “Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid”,he doesn’t sing if remember correctly,hmm,I’ve got on DVD and need to watch it again. Have any of you seen Stanton in that Bob Dylan video awhile back? The video was for “Dreaming of You”. They also did a rendition of “Hava Nagila” for a telethon,check both of them out on You Tube! What did we do before You Tube? Susan Doll and Ghijath Naddaf: I thank each of you for even mentioning Lee Van CLeef,as he woefully not talked about enough! Will you join my group I made up called “SOUP”:Supporters Of Underappreciated Performers. I think there are a lot of actors and actresses who are in that category.

Posted By Juana Maria : June 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Posted By Susan Doll : June 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Juana Maria: Thanks for the kind comments. I have not seen Harry Dean in the Dylan video, but it makes sense that they know each other.

And, I am absolutely a supporter of underrated performers. Such a cute name: SOUP.

Posted By Susan Doll : June 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Posted By Jonah : June 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Love Harry Dean Stanton; he’s an unlikely axiom of New Hollywood. One of his best roles, I think, is in STRAIGHT TIME with Dustin Hoffman–he even plays the guitar in that one. Another choice role is in the (ignored or maligned) David Lynch short “The Cowboy and the Frenchman,” made for the series LES FRANÇAIS VU PAR… One of the purest examples of Lynch’s deadpan absurdity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FAMkGWQ7KM

Stanton must have been hanging out with a younger crowd in the 1960s and 1970s. He costars with Warren Oates in Terrence Malick’s AFI graduation film, LANTON MILLS, and in AFI graduate John Milius’s debut feature, DILLINGER. Not to mention Monte Hellman’s TWO-LANE BLACKTOP).

I remember being startled by the unexpected appearance of a youthful Harry Dean in the punishing Korean War film PORK CHOP HILL, from 1959. Of course “youthful” in this case means over 30–Harry himself was a WWII veteran. He has an “old” presence in nearly every movie in which he’s been credited, from the 1960s to the present day.

Posted By Jonah : June 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Posted By Liam Casey : June 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I also immediately recognized Harry Dean Stanton in “The Avengers” and enjoyed the 1970′s flashback when he asked Mark Ruffalo if he was an alien.

Speaking of 1970′s flashbacks, as one who saw and enjoyed both “Logan’s Run” and “The Eagle Has Landed” way back then, I also liked the fact that Jenny Agutter was in “The Avengers”. However, she was not as recognizable as Harry Dean and I didn’t know she was in it until the end credits. But I knew to look for her on my second viewing.

Posted By Liam Casey : June 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : June 11, 2012 10:04 pm

“Son, you have a condition.” That got one of the biggest laughs in The Avengers. It got big laughs all four times I saw it. I loved it.

I’ve liked Harry ever since I saw The Black Marble sometime in the early 80′s. I was pleasantly surprised to see him in The Avengers.

Posted By dukeroberts : June 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : June 12, 2012 2:36 am

Did you know Harry Dean was also a Member of Charly Harpers
Men´s Support Group ?

Posted By Ghijath Naddaf : June 12, 2012 2:36 am

Did you know Harry Dean was also a Member of Charly Harpers
Men´s Support Group ?

Posted By Mike Perry : June 12, 2012 7:57 am

I love the expression the Stanton-Walsh rule. Any film with either of them(M.Emmet Walsh) is always worth watching and better overall because of their participation.
Been watching and admiring Harry since the late 70′s when I was old enough to recognize familiar faces from one film to another.
Caught an episode of Man With a Camera just the other day where he guest starred with a young Charlie Bronson.
Seek out Straight Time where he co-starred with Dustin Hoffman. And M.Emmet Walsh!

Posted By Mike Perry : June 12, 2012 7:57 am

Posted By swac44 : June 12, 2012 8:39 am

Funny, just saw Harry Dean Stanton in an episode of Wild Wild West recently and was wondering how many other TV roles I should try and track down. I just got a box set of Wanted: Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen, I hope he shows up in there somewhere.

One of my favourite of his appearances is in The Straight Story. I’ve probably said too much already by saying he’s in this wistful David Lynch underdog, but it’s perfect casting and put a massive lump in my throat the moment he appeared. I’m really due for a rewatch of it.

I’ve got a lot of stuff in my “to watch” pile with Stanton in it, from The Mini-Skirt Mob to The Missouri Breaks, guess I’ll be moving those titles to the top.

Posted By swac44 : June 12, 2012 8:39 am

Posted By Pamela Porter : June 12, 2012 9:04 am

The “Stanton-Walsh” rule is the ONLY thing that could induce me to see “The Avengers”. Dammit – now I have to go. :D

Posted By Pamela Porter : June 12, 2012 9:04 am

Posted By dukeroberts : June 12, 2012 9:36 am

Pamela- The Avengers is great. You will love the Hulk.

Posted By dukeroberts : June 12, 2012 9:36 am

Pamela- The Avengers is great. You will love the Hulk.

Posted By Juana Maria : June 12, 2012 11:41 am

Susan Doll: Thanks for writing me back and thank you very much for saying it is a cute name for a group. I confess I came up with it some where between thinking of E! “Talk Soup” and soup found in the grocery store. Hey! Everyone likes some kind of soup,right? Well favorite actors are a passion of mine and when I get to talking about them I don’t want to stop! I have some advice for Swac44,if you really want to know what shows to find Harry Dean Stanton in,look him up on imdb. I find out all kinds of stuff about my favorite actors that way! How tall they are,and when they’ll be on TV soon, and of course their bio and filmographies. Swac44 & others:Please join my made-up group called “SOUP”. In stead of “coffee talk” we’ll have “soup group” conversations. Bye!

Posted By Juana Maria : June 12, 2012 11:41 am

Posted By Juana Maria : June 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Susan Doll:I’ve been wondering is the cat in the first photo from one of his movies or is the cat his own? I’m a cat person with 4 cats,so I think about stuff like that. Please answer me if you can. Can I count you as the first member of my made up group called SOUP? I hope so! Thanks and bye.

Posted By Juana Maria : June 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Posted By Susan Doll : June 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Juana: The photo with the cat is not from a film role. Apparently, Harry Dean is a cat person, which is another reason to like him.

I could be an honorary member of your supporting actors group as long as it doesn’t involve me doing much! I have a busy summer ahead of me!

Posted By Susan Doll : June 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Posted By DevlinCarnate : June 14, 2012 3:53 pm

two films i can’t believe you left out,Farewell My Lovely as the detective atagonistic towards Micthum’s Marlowe,and John Huston’s adaptation of Wiseblood,wherein he plays major role as the blind street corner preacher/con man…i always thought HDS had a face for noir

Posted By DevlinCarnate : June 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Posted By cicero grimes : June 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Lets make this an ongoing column, where you shine a light on the glue that holds a good movie together:a great supporting cast.
Kudos to the reader who name-checked Straight Time, and please dont leave out the great work by Gary Busey and the very, very young kathy Bates in that film.
One thing:I think Jack was married to Sandra, not Shirley Knight.

Posted By cicero grimes : June 14, 2012 3:57 pm

One thing:I think Jack was married to Sandra, not Shirley Knight.

Posted By Juana Maria : June 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Susan Doll:Thanks for writing me back! The answer to your question is no. There is not a lot I expect from those who will join my made up group! Just keep talking about underappreciated actors and unlike “Fight Club” please spread the name around and find out if others would like to join! It’s free and fun and silly!! We gather on these blogs all the time,so why not team up? We could give suggestions for future articles and comment on them, we do anyway. Thanks a ton and have a great summer!

Posted By Juana Maria : June 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Posted By Doug : June 21, 2012 8:27 am

One more great title with HDS:
“Rancho Deluxe” with Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston and (possibly) an uncredited cameo of Warren Oates playing back up to Jimmy Buffet.
You read that right.
HDS plays a cow ‘hand’, who has a few great scenes.
Also Patty D’Arbanville and Elizabeth Ashley-a great cast in a small movie!

Posted By Doug : June 21, 2012 8:27 am

One more great title with HDS:
You read that right.
HDS plays a cow ‘hand’, who has a few great scenes.
Also Patty D’Arbanville and Elizabeth Ashley-a great cast in a small movie!

Posted By Juana Maria : June 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Doug:Thanks for telling all of us about that! I will look for that movie since I love watching Warren Oates! Have you ever heard him sing? You can on YouTube. He sings back up on Kris Kristofferson’s song “Rocket to Stardom”.

Posted By Juana Maria : June 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Posted By SCREAM QUEEN OF THE MONTH-JULY 2012-ADRIENNE BARBEAU « Written in Blood : June 29, 2012 4:58 am

[...] Come Back to the Screen, Harry Dean, Harry Dean (moviemorlocks.com) [...]

[...] Come Back to the Screen, Harry Dean, Harry Dean (moviemorlocks.com) [...]

Posted By Link Dump: #71 | Pussy Goes Grrr : June 29, 2012 3:58 pm

[...] week’s kitty comes from a great Movie Morlocks piece about Harry Dean Stanton. You wouldn’t think that kitty could get any cuter, but then oh my god it’s being held [...]

Posted By Link Dump: #71 | Pussy Goes Grrr : June 29, 2012 3:58 pm