10 Great Christopher Plummer Performances

My favorite moment of this year’s Oscar telecast occurred when a sprightly 82-year-old Christopher Plummer took the stage in a beautiful velvet suit to accept his Best Supporting Actor award. He was incredibly gracious and gave one of the best speeches of the night. It was obvious that the Canadian actor hadn’t lost any of the charm that has made him so appealing to audiences throughout his long and impressive career.

Christopher Plummer has been working steadily since the sixties and in the last decade he’s gotten some of his most acclaimed roles in films such as THE INSIDER (1999), A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2001), THE NEW WORLD (2005) and THE LAST STATION (2009). But many of my own favorite Plummer performances can be found in the movies he made during the sixties and seventies.

In celebration of his Oscar winning performance in BEGINNERS (2010) I thought I’d take a look back at the actor’s early career in front of the camera and share a short list of viewing recommendations. I hope it might encourage some readers to seek out or revisit the films that helped make Christopher Plummer a star. All of the movies mentioned below are available on DVD or video so they should be easy to track down.

THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (dir. Anthony Mann; 1964)
In this lush historical drama Christopher Plummer plays the scheming and neurotic Caesar Commodus who oversees the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Anthony Mann’s impressive looking film is probably too ambitious for its own good but it features a noteworthy cast that includes Sophia Loren, Stephen Boyd, James Mason, Alec Guinness and Omar Sharif. With that much impressive talent in one movie it would be difficult for any actor to deliver a scene stealing performance but Christopher Plummer does. As a matter of fact, he’s probably the best thing about Mann’s overstuffed epic. Plummer appears to relish his role as Commodus and he chews up the gorgeous scenery with gusto and glee.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC (dir. Robert Wise; 1965)
Christopher Plummer became a household name after appearing in this award-winning musical as the handsome and reserved Captain Von Trapp and it’s easy to see why. Plummer effortlessly juggles a rather complex role that might very well be the heart and soul of Robert Wise’s film. Whether he’s dishing out tough love to his children, cautiously falling in love with the woman he hired to care for them or stoically facing down Nazis, he’s always believable. But it’s Plummer’s ability to make a somewhat unlikable character appear vulnerable that has always impressed me.

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER (dir. Robert Mulligan; 1965)
In Robert Mulligan’s big budget Hollywood satire Christopher Plummer plays a Svengali type character aptly named Robert Swan who plucks a young girl (Natalie Wood) from obscurity and makes her a star. Plummer seems to relish the underlying humor in the film’s melodramatic narrative and his campy performance is one of the film’s highlights. In 1980 he played a similar character in SOMEWHERE IN TIME opposite Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve. Both films are worth a look if you appreciate Plummer as a controlling manipulator of human fates and fortunes.

TRIPLE CROSS (dir. Terence Young; 1966)
Christopher Plummer stars as Eddie Chapman, a suave criminal who becomes a double agent working with Britain and Germany during WW2. Director Terence Young helmed three major James Bond films (DR. NO; 1962, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE; 1963 and THUNDERBALL; 1965) but TRIPLE CROSS isn’t exactly as entertaining as those espionage outings. The film is noteworthy for providing Plummer with one of his most accomplished roles and confirms that the actor might have made an interesting James Bond if he had been given the opportunity.

THE ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN (dir. Irving Lerner; 1969)
Plummer delivered one of his most eccentric and fascinating performances in THE ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN, as the Inca chief and would-be god Atahualpa. In this sympathetic portrayal of a native people and their unique culture, Plummer must face down Spanish conquistadors who are eager to get their hands on Inca gold. History tells us who the winners and losers are in this epic battle but Plummer, along with costars Robert Shaw and Leonard Whiting; add some much needed humanity and emotional context to this timeless drama based on a play by Peter Shaffer (Equus, Amadeus).

THE PYX (dir. Harvey Hart; 1973)
This slow-moving Canadian thriller features a surprisingly nuanced performance from Plummer as a hardened detective trying to unravel the mystery surrounding the suspicious death of a drug addicted prostitute (Karen Black). The film takes many unsuspected twists and turns but Plummer’s edgy portrayal of a man quietly mourning his deceased wife while seeking some kind of justice for the dead helps hold the film together.

THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (dir. Blake Edwards; 1975)
In Blake Edwards’ third PINK PANTHER film, Christopher Plummer plays Sir Charles Lytton, a retired jewel thief known as “The Phantom.” In other PINK PANTHER movies the very funny David Niven played Sir Charles Lytton so Plummer had some big shoes to fill but he manages to bring his own charm to the role. When given the opportunity, Plummer proves that he’s a good comedic actor with a subtle touch that balances the more manic humor of his co-star (Peter Sellers).

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (dir. John Huston; 1975)
Christopher Plummer doesn’t get much screen time in John Huston’s highly entertaining adventure film but he’s unforgettable as author Rudyard Kipling. In the role of Kipling, Plummer must relay the remarkable tale of two fortune hunters (Sean Connery and Michael Caine) and in turn he becomes the salve in this blistering tale of crushed dreams and unfulfilled expectations. THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING is too often referred to as a “buddy movie” when in fact it’s more far reaching than that. And Plummer’s touching portrayal of Rudyard Kipling is responsible for bringing a wider scope to this all-too human drama.

THE SILENT PARTNER (dir. Daryl Duke; 1978)
This Canadian crime thriller offered Plummer the opportunity to tackle one of his most interesting and unusual roles as a sadistic bank robber who ends up in a creepy cat and mouse game with a desperate bank teller played by Elliot Gould. After Plummer robs a bank and Gould pockets some of the money for himself, Plummer’s character pursues him with relentless determination and unhinged glee in order to retrieve the cash. The film creatively exploits the edgy depths of Plummer’s acting abilities and leaves you wishing he’d played a bad guy more often.

MURDER BY DECREE (dir. Bob Clark; 1979)
A lot of talented actors have tackled the complex role of Sherlock Holmes but Christopher Plummer managed to artfully make the character his own in Clark’s highly entertaining mystery thriller, MURDER BY DECREE. Plummer’s Holmes is a warmer, more jovial and sympathetic detective than many of his predecessors but he’s also keenly observant, witty and wise. And he’s got great chemistry with costar James Mason, who plays his loyal and lovable sidekick, Watson. The film isn’t directly based on any of Conan Doyle’s stories but it’s a creepy and effective mix of Jack the Ripper mythology and Holmesian detective work that provided Christopher Plummer with one of his best roles.

Did I forget to mention one of your favorite early Christopher Plummer performances? Feel free to weigh in below!

0 Response 10 Great Christopher Plummer Performances
Posted By JeffH : March 1, 2012 4:10 pm

I am so glad to see someone mention Plummer’s excellent work in FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (or as more recent generations would call it-GLADIATOR). I have always felt this was an extremely underrated film that, sadly, bombed when it was released and took down one of the few independent producers of the post-studio era, Samuel Bronston. I am so glad it has seen new life on DVD and his performance, along with Alec Guinness’ and James Mason’s, lift this film way above the typical sword-and-sandal epic and give it both gravitas and a touch of humor that keeps it from being a mere history lesson with 5000 extras.

Posted By JeffH : March 1, 2012 4:10 pm

Posted By jbryant : March 1, 2012 4:20 pm

If I can suggest one that came a bit later, Karoly Makk’s LILY IN LOVE (1984) features what may be Plummer’s best screen work (I have yet to see BEGINNERS or any number of other Plummer films, so take that with a grain of salt). It’s an update of Molnar’s THE GUARDSMAN, with Plummer as a ham actor whose wife (Maggie Smith) doesn’t want him for the lead in her new screenplay. He dons a disguise in hopes of landing the role, and complications, as they say, ensue. It’s in effect a dual role, and perhaps Plummer would have enjoyed some Oscar glory back then if the film had gotten more of a release.

Posted By jbryant : March 1, 2012 4:20 pm

Posted By Christopher Plummer website : March 1, 2012 4:23 pm

He has been in so many movies, so it is not easy to make a list of his best movies, but i really liked Man in The Chair, Emotional Erithmetic, The Last Station. . . . . .

Take a look at our list:http://www.christopherplummer.eu/Filmography.php

Posted By Christopher Plummer website : March 1, 2012 4:23 pm

Take a look at our list:http://www.christopherplummer.eu/Filmography.php

Posted By Greg Ferrara : March 1, 2012 4:23 pm

He is so good in The Silent Partner. I watched it again last year for the first time in years and he impressed me more than anyone else. He came off as truly scary. I also love him as Mike Wallace in The Insider (to a producer who calls him ‘Mike’ – “Mike? Let’s try ‘Mr. Wallace.’”) and, yes, I admit it, I like him in Somewhere in Time. It’s goofy but, dammit, I like that movie a lot.

Posted By Greg Ferrara : March 1, 2012 4:23 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:27 pm

JeffH – Plummer’s performance just might be my favorite thing about FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE along with a absolutely radiant Sophia Loren who looks stunning throughout the movie.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:27 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:31 pm

jbryant – I haven’t seen LILI IN LOVE so I appreciate the recommendation!

Another later performance of Plummer’s from the ’80s that I like can be found in the erotic horror film NOSFERATU IN VENICE with Klaus Kinski. I might be the only person in the world who likes that movie so I hesitate to recommend it but it is a beautiful looking film.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:31 pm

jbryant – I haven’t seen LILI IN LOVE so I appreciate the recommendation!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:32 pm

Greg – He’s very good in all those films but his creepy turn in THE SILENT PARTNER is particularly memorable as well as chilling. I wish he’d taken more bad guy roles.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 1, 2012 4:32 pm

Posted By Greg Ferrara : March 1, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, he seems genuinely dangerous in that one. It was a hell of a performance and one he could have easily been nominated for had the movie gotten more notice.

Posted By Greg Ferrara : March 1, 2012 4:37 pm

Posted By Peter Hogan : March 1, 2012 4:46 pm

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER gives a teasing glimpse of the Count Dracula he could have been.

Posted By Peter Hogan : March 1, 2012 4:46 pm

Posted By AL : March 1, 2012 6:16 pm

For ROYAL HUNT his shaved torso’s “muscles” were obviously painted on with make-up. Peculiar…

Posted By AL : March 1, 2012 6:16 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : March 1, 2012 8:31 pm

I did enjoy him in Murder By Decree. He played a fairly good Holmes.

One later one that I really liked him in was Inside Man. He played an old…oh, never mind if you haven’t seen it. He was great as Mike Wallace in The Insider too though.

Posted By dukeroberts : March 1, 2012 8:31 pm

I did enjoy him in Murder By Decree. He played a fairly good Holmes.

Posted By Pamela Porter : March 1, 2012 9:40 pm

Not that 40 is old by *any* stretch (heck, I’m 50), but he is *rockin’* in that still from THE ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN. I mean seriously…not an ounce of extra anything, and not a sign of steroids.

Wowser…I’d never seen this before.

Posted By Pamela Porter : March 1, 2012 9:40 pm

Wowser…I’d never seen this before.

Posted By Susan Doll : March 1, 2012 11:05 pm

Interesting selection of films. I am ashamed to say I have seen so few of them. I’m not a big fan of Plummer but I respect the length and breadth of his career.

Posted By Susan Doll : March 1, 2012 11:05 pm

Posted By tdraicer : March 2, 2012 3:56 pm

While Royal Hunt of the Sun is on dvd, so far I’ve not been able to track down one with a decent print. Any suggestions?

One of my favorite Broadway soundtracks is Plummer in the musical version of Cyrano (a play felled by a NYC newspaper strike when it opened).

Posted By tdraicer : March 2, 2012 3:56 pm

Posted By Tony Dayoub : March 2, 2012 5:53 pm

Must look for ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN, Kim. I’d never heard of it until now. Thanks for mentioning MURDER BY DECREE, an excellent riff on the Holmes v. the Ripper concept which gets revived from time to time.

Posted By Tony Dayoub : March 2, 2012 5:53 pm

Posted By Dave M. : March 3, 2012 4:59 pm

What, no love for the eye patch wearing, Shakespeare reciting Klingon General Chang in Star Trek VI? He’s my favorite part of that movie and it looked like he really relished every bit of it.

Posted By Dave M. : March 3, 2012 4:59 pm

Posted By Juana Maria : March 3, 2012 9:10 pm

Yes, I have seen most of his movies in your list! My favorites in order are:1)”The Sound of Music” 2)”Fall of the Roman Empire”,which in my opinion is so much better than “Gladiator”, (on that note so is “Barabbus” & “Demitrius and the Gladiators”);
3)”return of the Pink Panther”;4)”The Man who WOuld Be King”, however Michael Caine was so funny and Sean Connery was so attractive that honestly I didn’t remember Christopher Plummer even being in the film until your wonderful article. HAHA,sorry.
I really glad he won the Oscar!!

Posted By Juana Maria : March 3, 2012 9:10 pm

I really glad he won the Oscar!!

Posted By Juana Maria : March 3, 2012 9:13 pm

Drat! I meant to include “Star Trek VI”. I saw that movie in the theatre when it came out!! How time flies! I can so the Vulcan hand greeting thing, and my brother knows how to use the Vulcan neck pinch, believe me it works! Ah,big brothers!

Posted By Juana Maria : March 3, 2012 9:13 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : March 3, 2012 10:36 pm

I will also give up love for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It is one of the best Star Trek movies, although I have trouble ranking anything aside from The Wrath of Khan (The best!).

Posted By dukeroberts : March 3, 2012 10:36 pm

Posted By Mason Coffey : March 4, 2012 1:03 am

I love The Silent Partner, so great to see it mentioned. Such wonderful performances by both actors.

Posted By Mason Coffey : March 4, 2012 1:03 am

Posted By David Lawrence : March 4, 2012 5:49 am

Very happy to see MURDER BY DECREE and THE SILENT PARTNER mentioned here, both terrific films with great performances by Plummer. THE SILENT PARTNER particularly grows in my estimation every time I re-watch it.

Posted By David Lawrence : March 4, 2012 5:49 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 4, 2012 3:12 pm

I appreciate all the great feedback! I’m not sure how hard it is to track down a good quality copy of ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN. Your best bet might be to keep an eye on TCM and hope they run it in all it’s full color/widescreen glory.

I also wanted to add that I feel rather bad about neglecting to mention STAR TREK VI in my piece. My husband actually appeared in the film very briefly as an extra (he played one of nameless/faceless Prisoners of Rura Penthe) and I have fond memories of going to see it when we were dating. I’m not a Trekkie myself so I haven’t seen all the Trek films but I remember enjoying it.

And last but not least, it’s nice to see so many fans of THE SILENT PARTNER speaking out! It’s a great crime thriller from the ’70s and Plummer is perfectly creepy in it.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : March 4, 2012 3:12 pm

Posted By CherieP : March 4, 2012 9:26 pm

I like Christopher Plummer in WOLF, which was directed by Mike Nichols. He plays a millionaire media mogul who gives Jack Nicholson the sack when he takes over the publishing house Nicholson is working for.

Plummer underplays the shadiness of the character, emphasising instead his whip-crack smartness, and unfortunate emotional estangement from daughter Michelle Pfeiffer. He makes a welcome contribution to a good film, and it wouldn’t be the same without him.

Posted By CherieP : March 4, 2012 9:26 pm

Posted By Juana Maria : March 5, 2012 8:44 pm

I want to add that Christopher Plummer plays the grandfather to Nick Cage’s character in “National Treasure”.P.S. Duke Roberts, I think “The Wrath of Khan” is very likely the best “Star Trek” picture right up there with the one with the whales. I saw that one in the theatre. I like when the series and the movies go together, but the show was so weird sometimes that logic had nothing to do with it. Live long and prosper.(Vulcan hand sign.)
Yes, I was raised a “trekkie”, but I haven’t seen every second of every movie. I don’t know the names of every character. I think the actors from the shows and movies are really good. That’s how I always knew who Colm Meaney was,now he has his own show,”Hell on Wheels”. Ricardo Montalban was amazing as Khan on the episode:”Space Seed” and later in the movie:”Wrath of Khan”. I hope there will be articles on that great actor soon! Gracias.

Posted By Juana Maria : March 5, 2012 8:44 pm

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 10:47 am

While not one of his top 10 films, I have to say I’m grateful to TCM for showing WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES (1958), an entry in the filmography of one of my favourite directors, Nicholas Ray (we even share a birthday) and Plummer’s second screen role, as a wildlife inspector trying to prevent the poaching of birds in Florida around the turn of the last century. The film was a huge flop, and he stayed off the screen for six years afterwards, but he’s still very charismatic in it, and you also get great turns by Burl Ives and a young Peter Falk in the bargain. Don’t get me wrong, the film’s a mess, but worth checking out if you’re curious.

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 10:47 am

Posted By Juana Maria : March 7, 2012 12:56 pm

Swac: Hola! I have seen some that movie,WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES on YouTube. It was on TCM late one night but I missed it. I really like the cast, I try to watch as many of their films as I can. It’s been bugging me for a long time, I just got to ask you how did you come to interview L.Q. Jones? I love him in shows and movies. He plays a villian most of the time, but in real life he is said to be very nice and friendly and so funny. I can believe it! He sure makes me laugh, especially his charater in “Mask of Zorro”(1998) as Three-Fingered Jack. Wothout him “the whole dang opera falls apart!”

Posted By Juana Maria : March 7, 2012 12:56 pm

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Juana, hola back at you! I was writing for a now-defunct DVD review site when A Boy and His Dog was released on disc, and Jones was going to bat for it doing a fair amount of press. I did a Q&A with him over the phone, and we talked for over half-an-hour about his directorial debut in particular, but also Peckinpah, Don Siegel, Elvis, his friendship with Strother Martin, and so on. He was a total joy to talk to, unfortunately my digital record of the conversation went astray in a hard-drive crash a number of years ago. Now I back up everything on two separate external hard-drives, but too little too late in this case.

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 1:38 pm

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 1:45 pm

I should also note that I interviewed Christopher Plummer once, when he was on a TV mini-series about Catherine the Great, and unfortunately it was one of those occasions where I had about 10-15 minutes to chat, and most of it had to revolve around the TV series, but he was exceedingly charming and I did manage to slip in some admiration for The Silent Partner and Murder By Decree, one of my favourite Holmes portrayals (along with his good friend and Canadian theatre compatriot John Neville in A Study in Terror). He seemed to appreciate the fact that I didn’t ask him any Sound of Music questions (he’s famously noted for calling it “The Sound of Mucus” but has warmed up to the film more in later years).

Posted By swac : March 7, 2012 1:45 pm

Posted By mithol : May 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Plummer was fantastic in Beginners. But almost as good if not better was his performance in Souvenir (1989), which has become one of my favourite movies since I saw it. I can’t rave about it enough really. It was so great. And Plummer gave a gorgeous, subtle, heartwarming and heartwrenching performance as an ex-German soldier who returns with his estranged daughter to the French village where he was stationed during the war.

Posted By mithol : May 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Posted By mithol : May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Oh, and I almost forgot. I really enjoyed the movie, The High Commissioner (1968) aka Nobody Runs Forever. Christopher Plummer’s performance is great, though he’s not the main character. Oh yeah, and he’s absolutely gorgeous. I absolutely loved the role. The movie also stars Lilli Palmer and Rod Taylor.

Posted By mithol : May 11, 2012 1:36 pm