Spy Games: James Bond at 50

2012 marks the 50th anniversary of Sean Connery’s debut as James Bond in Terence Young’s DR. NO (1962). In honor of the event Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios along with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment recently announced that they have a program of exciting events planned to celebrate the 50th anniversary of one of the longest running film franchises in history. I’ve decided to participate in the festivities with a new monthly feature at the Movie Morlocks called Spy Games. Every month I plan on focusing some of my attention on a particular espionage thriller or the spy genre in general. I’ll also be spending more time discussing aspects of the Bond films throughout the year. To get things started I thought I’d take a look ahead at some of the James Bond 50th anniversary events that are already in the works for 2012.

Before I get started here’s a little background information on agent 007. James Bond is the name of a fictional British Secret Service agent who was originally created by author Ian Fleming for a series of stories he wrote between 1953 and 1964. Interest in James Bond seems to have soared in 1961 after President Kennedy mentioned that one of his favorite books was Fleming’s fifth Bond novel, From Russia With Love. Soon afterward Fleming became one of the biggest-selling authors in the US and he sold the film rights to all his James Bond stories to producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli. Subsequently the producers launched an extensive search to find an actor who could portray James Bond. The list of talent that was considered for the role is impressive and included Cary Grant, Richard Todd, Rod Taylor, Rex Harrison, Richard Burton, David Niven, Patrick McGoohan, Richard Johnson and Christopher Lee. Lee ended up playing a Bond villain in the ninth James Bond film, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (1974), and David Niven went on to play Bond in the funny spy spoof CASINO ROYALE (1967). The actor who finally won the role of 007 was the handsome and devilishly charming, Sean Connery. Connery appeared in seven James Bond films between 1962 and 1983 (including NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, which was a remake of the 1965 Bond film THUNDERBALL and isn’t considered an ‘official’ film in the Bond series). During that time Bond was also portrayed by George Lazenby and Roger Moore. Timothy Dalton followed in Moore’s footsteps but he was later replaced by Pierce Brosnan and in recent films Bond has been played by actor Daniel Craig. There are currently twenty-two official James Bond films in this incredibly successful franchise and in November of 2012 fans can expect the release of the twenty-third Bond film titled SKYFALL starring Daniel Craig as agent 007. But that’s not the only exciting event currently associated with James Bond’s 50th anniversary.

Bond fans can also look forward to the release of an impressive DVD box-set featuring all of the James Bond films on Blu-ray Disc later this year. This new collection of DVDs is called BOND 50 and it contains the first twenty-two films in the Bond series as well as some exciting extras including more than 130 hours of bonus features and never-before-seen content from the official Bond archives. BOND 50 should be made available sometime before November.

Next year you can also expect to see a lot more James Bond related books in stores. A couple of upcoming highlights include a new book by Bond actor Sir Roger Moore titled Bond On Bond. The book will provide a guide to the cars, gadgets and girls of the James Bond movies. It’s being promoted as the “Ultimate Bond book from the ultimate Bond himself!” and it will feature many full-color photographs. George Lazenby, who starred in ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE (1969), will also be releasing his autobiography in 2012. It’s currently titled The Other Fella and according to publishers it’s “a brilliantly frank tale” detailing how the actor got the role of James Bond. Fans can also look forward to For Our Eyes Only, which contains never-before-seen photographs taken on the sets of Bond movies, by the acclaimed British photographer Terry O’Neill. O’Neill is incredibly talented and he’s photographed some of Hollywood’s biggest and most beloved stars. For Our Eyes Only promises to be an intimate and fascinating behind the scenes look at the various James Bond films as well as a glamorous collection of star portraits.

If you’re in the UK you might consider setting aside some time to visit the National Motor Museum’s BOND IN MOTION exhibit. The National Motor Museum is located in the South of England and they’ll be playing host to the largest James Bond car exhibit ever assembled. BOND IN MOTION will display 50 of the most iconic vehicles from various Bond films to celebrate the 50th anniversary of 007. The exhibit runs from January 17th to December 2012. There are currently no plans to turn BOND IN MOTION into a traveling exhibit so US fans will have to make a trip across the pond if they want to see it. For more information about BOND IN MOTION visit the National Motor Museum’s website.

If you can’t make it to the UK and just want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of James Bond from the comfort of your own home you can always participate in Talk Like Sean Connery Day, which started in 2010 and takes place every year during the actor’s birthday on August 25th.

For further reading about all things James Bond I recommend visiting some of the following websites and blogs:

- The Official James Bond 007 Website
- MI6: Home of James Bond
- MI6 Confidential
- 007 Magazine
- Bondstars.com
- Sean Connery’s Official Site
- Roger Moore’s Official Site
- Illustrated 007
- Double O Section
- Spy Vibe
- Finding Connery – A Sean Connery Blog

70 Responses Spy Games: James Bond at 50
Posted By Eric : January 12, 2012 1:34 pm

You know, I could argue that the Godzilla franchise is a longer running.

Posted By Eric : January 12, 2012 1:34 pm

You know, I could argue that the Godzilla franchise is a longer running.

Posted By Jenni : January 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Wondering if the great Brit show, Top Gear, which my sons love to watch, will be making a visit to the Motor Museum you mention?
That would be a cool episode, the 3 hosts debating about which was the greatest Bond car and then driving some on their test track.

Posted By Jenni : January 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Eric – Feel free to argue. I think you’ve got a good point. I suspect that Bond is considered the longest running franchise in the western world so it’s easy for MGM & Fox to make that claim and promote the series as such. And of course there are various arguments to be made about what exactly constitutes a ‘GODZILLA” film instead of a remake/reboot, etc. Fans are very particular for example when it comes to laying down the rules of what and what does not fall into a real series of films with connective threads. Godzilla is very problematic in that regard.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Jenni – My husband watches TOP GEAR as well and I have to agree. That would be a cool episode.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Posted By tomzorthian : January 12, 2012 5:52 pm

When writing an article on James Bond, it is imperative to spell the creator’s name correctly. It is Ian Fleming.

Posted By tomzorthian : January 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Tom – I beat you to it. Already corrected my typo but I appreciate your keen eye. I occasionally make mistakes. Nature of the beast and all that. Nothing to be proud of it’s just pure human folly on my part.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Posted By David : January 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Kimberly, in your coming examination of the many facets of ‘BOND’please slip a few lines in about illustrator Robert McGinnis. His film posters for Bond films (and many others) helped define the public image of the character.
Cheers.

Posted By David : January 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Cheers.

Posted By Klara : January 12, 2012 8:27 pm

(Reposting this with my name…) I actually love ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ – another more random favorite of mine is ‘The Man With the Golden Gun’. Very entertaining. I even named on my cat Mary Jane Goodnight, in part after Miss Goodnight.

Posted By Klara : January 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 9:03 pm

David – My plans are sort of up in the air at the moment but I want to talk about a lot more spies than just Bond. I love McGinnis’ work though. Did you see the link I posted to Illustrated 007? It’s a great blog focused on artwork associated with Bond and there’s a whole section devoted to McGinnis’ stuff: http://illustrated007.blogspot.com/search/label/Artist%3A%20Robert%20McGinnis

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Klara – No problem I went ahead and deleted your previous comment. I’m totally with you about ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE. I think it’s actually one of the better Bond films. It was dismissed for decades but it’s really found a new life and a lot of new fans on video/DVD and television. And I love the name of your cat!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 12, 2012 9:51 pm

I’m not quite sure how we define a “franchise.” Tarzan, Zorro and Sherlock Holmes all date back to the silents. In the case of Tarzan, at least, we have a character whose creator and heirs kept up his copyright and didn’t let it fall into public domain. I don’t know if Johnston McCully kept Zorro’s copyright up to date.

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 10:10 pm

John – It’s definitely a complex topic with all sorts of things to consider. In the case of Bond the entire series of films made in the last 50 years have all been produced by the privately owned company EON (in association w/Danjaq) which was formed by Albert R. Broccoli & Harry Saltzman when they bought the rights to all the Bond stories. And the films are all made at Pinewood studios. Properties like TARZAN, ZORRO & HOLMES are scattered across the globe due to who owns/doesn’t own the original text, how it’s been adapted throughout the years, etc.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : January 12, 2012 11:32 pm

I look forward to more Bond goodness in the coming year. I clicked on the Bond 50 Blu-ray set on Amazon earlier today and the advance order price is currently $199.99. I hope it drops a little. I already have all of the movies on DVD, but I’m salivating over the Blu-ray set. It may be time for me to double dip.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : January 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Strangely enough, the first title that I double dipped on DVD and Blu was The Prisoner, which is believed to have sprung from the mind of Patrick McGoohan in response to other people’s disbelief in his unwillingness to accept the role of Bond. James Bond. “You are Number 6.” “I am not a number! I am a free man!”

Posted By dukeroberts : January 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 12, 2012 11:47 pm

I thought Lazenby most resembled Bond as he’s described in the books, and I really liked OHM’sSS. Plus I, like most young males of my generation, fell in love with Diana Rigg when she was Mrs. Peel in “the Avengers” and she was the only woman to marry James Bond. When Connery left the series there was a Scarlett O’Hara-like search for the next Bond and one of the major mags – I think it was Life – ran a picture of a lineup of seven or eight actors with the caption: “Which of these men is the next James Bond?” One of them was Lazenby and I picked him immediately. I wish I could pick presidents as accurately.

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 12:55 am

Lazenby was kind of bland, but he sure could beat the hell out of bad guys. And OHMSS is a pretty damn good Bond flick. I wish they had left out the unfortunate line at the beginning. It was too “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” cutesy and doomed him from the start.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 12:55 am

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 12:57 am

Can you imagine Sean Connery crying in the car after Tracy was murdered? I cannot. I think Lazenby was the right man for that particular movie and he could have become better as the movies went along, had he stayed on board.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 12:57 am

Posted By arsula undress : January 13, 2012 1:40 am

* I do think it should be noted that this is a case of 10 years of merit, 40 years of sell-out — in my & I would wager most serious critics’ opinions …

* The sixties feeling of sardonic humor in Connery’s performance — & the clever scripts of early films like Goldfinger & From Russia With Love & maybe a few others — were something to applaud and enjoy …

* From the first moment that Moore arrived with his intolerable smirking — delivering stupid dirty puns as if he was really enough of an idiot to think that they were funny himself — this series was consigned to the dustheap of idle flash and empty hype

Posted By arsula undress : January 13, 2012 1:40 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:00 am

dukeroberts – Thanks! I hope people won’t get too tired reading about spies & secret agents in the coming months. Love that antidote about Patrick McGoohan! THE PRISONER is one of my all-time favorite shows.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:00 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:05 am

John – I liked Lazenby as Bond a lot actually and I appreciated how his relationship with Diana Rigg’s character was played out. And what man wouldn’t cry if he lost Diana Rigg? It is Rigg we’re talking about after all!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:05 am

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:06 am

arsula- Love the name! I can’t agree with you in total. The Roger Moore movies were a light piffle compared to the 60′s Connery titles and OHMSS. Remember Diamonds Are Forever though? That movie started the silly trend.
Timothy Dalton’s movies were not nearly as light and silly as Roger Moore’s.
Pierce Brosnan started out more serious with Goldeneye and got progressively less so, ending with Die Another Die, which many Bond enthusiasts consider the worst Bond movie. Invisible car, anyone?
Daniel Craig’s adventures have been serious-minded and virtually smirk-free.
The series has changed a lot over the years, but I certainly do not think it has been “consigned to the dustheap of idle flash and empty hype” due to the stupid, dirty puns and what not.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:06 am

Timothy Dalton’s movies were not nearly as light and silly as Roger Moore’s.
Daniel Craig’s adventures have been serious-minded and virtually smirk-free.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:09 am

And call me what you will, but hearing Moneypenny say “You always were a cunning linguist, James” makes me laugh.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:09 am

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:15 am

Kimberly- The Prisoner is one of my all time favorite shows too, as is probably evident by my double dipping.

And, though I am not a crier, losing Diana Rigg to a hail of bullets on our wedding day would probably reduce me to a few tears at the least. Actually, even if my wife looked like Ruth Buzzi, her death by hail of bullets on our wedding day would probably elicit some moisture up in there.

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 2:15 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:21 am

undress –

* My own favorite Bond is Sean Connery and I have a strong preference for the ’60s era Bond films but dismissing the rest as having no “merit” seems short-sighted to me. And in fact many “serious critics” would disagree with your claims. Take Andrew Sarris for example, he loved the 2006 film CASINO ROYALE and wrote, “I consider Daniel Craig to be the most effective and appealing of the six actors who have played 007.” And that’s just one example. That said, I’ve personally avoided the Pierce Brosnan Bond films because they held little interest for me. We all have our likes & dislikes obviously but I have no desire to make wide sweeping claims about post ’60s Bond films.

* Can’t argue with that. I love Connery’s sense of humor and wit in the early Bond pictures.

* A lot of people strongly dislike Moore as Bond. I’m not one of them but I do have a lot of mixed feelings about the Bond films he made. That said, I happen to really like LIVE AND LET DIE and I make no apologies for that.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 13, 2012 2:21 am

undress –

Posted By swac : January 13, 2012 8:52 am

I love the series up through Diamonds Are Forever, and can tolerate the first three Roger Moore entries, but after that it goes completely off the rails. Mind you, I haven’t seen A View to a Kill yet, which must at least be worth it for Christopher Walken and Grace Jones. I’ll just hit the mute button for the Duran Duran theme song.

I’m a bit miffed that they never bothered to finish the first round of blurays. I bought all the Connerys that were available, and the first two Moores, but am still waiting for OHMSS (hopefully with the editing blunders from previous editions fixed) and Diamonds Are Forever. I assume the new ones will be made available separately because there’s no way I’m shelling out for a box set of which I’ll only be watching the first quarter. That initial series of BDs is already gracing bargain bins at $5 a pop. If only I’d waited a bit longer…

Posted By swac : January 13, 2012 8:52 am

Posted By Jenni : January 13, 2012 9:22 am

I never saw A View to a Kill either, I remember my brother telling me about it, Walken’s evil plot. I want to see it now! And I liked Duran Duran in their day, so I could stand that, too.
I do think To Russia With Love was one of the most intelligent of the 60′s Bond films.

Posted By Jenni : January 13, 2012 9:22 am

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Many of our memories about movies come from our age and location when we first saw them. I saw OHMSS sitting on the mud in an outdoor GI theater at a place called Long Binh in what in those days was still the Republic of South Vietnam. In such an audience, you can imagine the reaction when the camera panned upward from those ice skates, up those endless legs and skintight costume to Diana Rigg’s face. Also, the line, “Just a slight stiffening” probably got a much bigger laugh than it really deserved.

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Posted By Pamela Porter : January 13, 2012 3:47 pm

More Daniel Craig photos, please! (I kid…sorta)

I have taken guff for years because (until Craig), Lazenby was actually my favorite Bond, and for one of the same reasons stated above – I could not imagine Connery crying.

Posted By Pamela Porter : January 13, 2012 3:47 pm

More Daniel Craig photos, please! (I kid…sorta)

Posted By chris : January 13, 2012 7:30 pm

I’ve already written the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science and Brian Glazer(this year’s Oscar Producer) about doing something on this year’s Oscar show about the 50th Anniversary. My idea: the typical 3-5 minute clip highlights from all the Bond films followed by an onstage appearance by all six actors who’ve played Bond. I think it would bring down the house. I suggest that others might want to do it as well.

Posted By chris : January 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Holy crap, Chris! That would be awesome! I will soon follow suit and write them myself.

I’ve always considered A View To a Kill the worst Bond (which to me is like bad pizza – still good), but I watched it again recently and it wasn’t as bad as I remembered. It’s still pretty bad as Bond movies go, but still enjoyable. Grace Jones is creepy as hell, Tanya Roberts gives Denise Richards a run for the title of “Worst Bond Girl Ever” and Christopher Walken is wacky, but it’s still fun. The Duran Duran theme song is actually one of the best things about it.

I have a guilty pleasure/love for Moonraker. It was my first Bond movie and we used to watch it all of the time when we were kids. It had Jaws! And space! And lasers!

Posted By dukeroberts : January 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Posted By Juana Maria : January 13, 2012 10:47 pm

My sister and I watched a lot of movies growing up. Included in those where some of those “Godzilla” movies you have mentioned. Though nothing captured the heart of my sister(with the exception of Dracula) quite like Bond James Bond. She has named at least 2 of her cats for him,one was named James Bond and the other is Connery. Who is without a doubt our favorite James Bond. She also had a huge crush on Adrian Paul, who bears a certain resemblance to Sean Connery. He is quite handsome too. I think that the new James Bond:Daniel Craig is all wrong for Bond! But that is only my opinion after all. No other Scotchman is equal to our beloved Sean Connery. Or very few other men.(Deep sigh)

Posted By Juana Maria : January 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Looks like it’s on, though not at the Oscars: 6 actors who have appeared as James Bond to appear at the premier of the new Bond film in October.

Posted By John Maddox Roberts : January 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that link John and thanks to everyone who has left comments. I thought you all might be interested in reading more about the BOND IN MOTION car exhibit too. Cinema Retro Magazine went to the opening, which featured many stars from the classic Bond films and they have some great pictures of the event on their website: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php/archives/6476-CINEMA-RETRO-COVERS-THE-BOND-IN-MOTION-GALA-AT-THE-NATIONAL-MOTOR-MUSEUM,-BEAULIEU.html

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : January 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Posted By Klara : January 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Kimberly, I’ve also loved OHMSS in part because of Diana Rigg :-)… And always felt like Lazenby got such a bad rap. He was absolutely fine in the film and could have even carried on as 007. Then there’s the wonderful orchestral theme song from John Barry (I believe it was the only one in the franchise without lyrics) the rest of the score, the wildly romantic Louis Armstrong song, “We Have All The Time In the World” (I went through a phase of playing it on repeat)… and of course the fab late-60′s fashions, the great action scenes & a very entertaining plot –- even Blofeld as the villain (!) — it just never ceases to amaze me how OHMMS wasn’t appreciated sooner as one of the best Bond films! :-D And btw, thanks for appreciating my cat’s name. She’s a cutie.

Posted By Klara : January 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Posted By Klara : January 16, 2012 10:48 pm

In fact, it’s pretty funny, looking at the six guys who played James Bond in that collage… I just tried to imagine if I’d never seen any of them before: all five of the others look like actors while George Lazenby looks like he could have been a spy in real life ;-D… as if his is an old photo of someone’s dad who was a spy. Probably because he wasn’t an actor.

Posted By Klara : January 16, 2012 10:48 pm