Learning to Love Raoul Walsh

The Big Trail (top, 1930) & The Tall Men (btm, 1955)

Raoul Walsh was nothing if not adaptable. As a teenager, he tagged along with his uncle on a trading mission to Cuba and Mexico. The schooner was damaged in a storm and had a long layover in Vera Cruz. It was there, Walsh claimed, that he learned roping from a man he only knew as Ramirez, whom he paid in Cuban rum. He stayed ashore when the ship returned to NYC, and was soon hired as a cowboy to drive cattle into Texas. His accidentally gained expertise landed him a horse riding gig on Broadway (in a version of THE CLANSMAN, later filmed by D.W. Griffith as THE BIRTH OF A NATION, in which Walsh played John Wilkes Booth), and later got him hired at the Pathe Film Studios, who also needed a horseman. Once he was primed to break out as a leading man in IN OLD ARIZONA, a jackrabbit flew through his windshield, and the glass shards gouged out an eye (he was replaced by Warner Baxter). Hence his eyepatch, and his practically-minded move behind the camera.

Dave Kehr commented on on his blog, relating to his NY Times piece on the Errol Flynn Adventures box set that TCM released with Warner Bros., that “for me Walsh belongs with Ford and Hawks as one of the Big Three American directors, but there has been surprisingly little of substance written about him in English or in French.”  I felt I should be as practical as the director and take this as a sign to dig further into Walsh’s work. There was further discussion of how little he’s esteemed in the under-30 crowd, of which I’m a member for the next few months. And it’s undeniably true. I’ve never had a conversation about Walsh with anyone of my own age group.  So until I hit that magic number in February, I’ll be assessing and re-assessing his work, to find my way through Walsh’s massive filmography and hopefully spark further discussion about this major figure in film history.

Kehr’s erudite readers also took up the challenge, especially Blake Lucas, who wrote an essay-long breakdown of Walsh’s career. Spring 2011 promises a flood of material, with an essay on Walsh in Kehr’s eagerly awaited collection When Movies Mattered, and a forthcoming biography, Raoul Walsh: The True Adventures of Hollywood’s Legendary Director (University Press of Kentucky), by Marilyn Ann Moss. I’m adding my rather undigested thoughts here, and will contribute more in the coming weeks the more I see. I watched The Big Trail  (1930), The Strawberry Blonde (1941), Battle Cry (1955), and The Tall Men (1955) in quick succession with comment below, and my bits on Me and My Gal (1932) and Colorado Territory (1949) are here and here.

Walsh’s dynamic visual sense was as equally pragmatic as his upbringing. The stills above are from films 27 years apart, but his mastery of widescreen composition remains, whether in the 70mm Fox Grandeur format of The Big Trail, or the CinemaScope of The Tall Men. He composed in depth in arcing lines, framing his images to fit the horizontals of the format, instead of the more vertically oriented Academy Ratio that preceded and followed the box office failure of The Big Trail. The vertiginous conclusions of White Heat, High Sierra and Colorado Territory attest to his expertise in the latter. But when he had wide aspect ratios to deal with, he adapted: in his ‘Scope films his people die sideways. This might seem intuitive, but the clunky framings of early Scope experiments like The Robe, made 23 years after his commandingly wide Big Trail, shows how ahead of his time, and downright experimental his creatively practical approach was. These are images of beauty but also of narrative tension. John Wayne traverses the middle ground in the top image from Trail, caught as he is between his Native American friends and the covered wagon train he’s leading to Oregon. The crowds look like massed armies, and the centered mountain provides an ominous roadblock. But Wayne’s bright beige buckskin outfit cuts a deal and a way through.

The image from The Tall Men is less dramatic, a minor aside before the big drive to Montana. The group of vaqueros that Clark Gable hired takes a moment to pray as the cattle nap in the background. If Walsh’s heroes are “sustained by nothing more than a feeling for adventure”, as Sarris claimed, or what Kehr calls “runaway individualism”, this shot displays what this recklessness and freedom has put at stake: the lives of these pious men are on the line for these indolent cows. It is a tossed off moment of nobility for these nameless workers, whom Gable leads on an impossibly dangerous journey through Oglala Sioux territory. His Civil War colonel turned stick-up artist is once again a leader of men, and it brings riches and death.

Walsh’s men are truculently free spirits, and look for women of similar combativeness. For romantic relationships are as central to Walsh’s world as reckless  individuality. The tension between the two motors most of his work, echoing a quote from Johannes Brahms: “It is my misfortune still to be unmarried, thank God!”  The Strawberry Blonde and Battle Cry are almost exclusively concerned with this dilemma. James Cagney gives another irascible fireplug performance as Biff Grimes, a dentist and perpetual black-eye wearer. Giving remarkable detail to the speech (“that’s just the kind of hairpin I am”), clothes and bearing of lower middle-class immigrant strivers in the gay ’90s (the only richer milieu Walsh created was the 30s lower East Side of Me and My Gal), Walsh presents Biff as an all-American loser, and is one of his (and Cagney’s) most beautiful creations. Biff is quick to fight and quicker to hold a grudge, a mulish sap who contains deep reserves of dignity. He loves his lusty father, but falls hard for the measurable charms of Rita Hayworth’s social climber. Roped into being a wingman for his huckster-entrepeneur friend Hugo, he’s hooked into a date with Amy (Olivia de Havilland) instead, a budding suffragette who talks women’s rights on the first date, and who prefers to get just as frisky as the men. They are both odd fits for society, two weirdos who love running their mouths, getting into scrapes, nursing, and dentistry. So the most romantic scene in the film concludes in a tooth pull without anesthetic. It’s a hilarious, vengeful moment against Hugo, but also an inadvertent revelation of his own happiness with Amy. Love is laughter and the restraint of murderous impulses. I now place it alongside Me and My Gal as my favorite Walsh film.

Battle Cry is a war film that’s almost entirely about love affairs. Walsh keep eliding battles in order to return to town where Aldo Ray and Tab Hunter get entangled with conflicted ladies in San Diego and Wellingont, New Zealand. It is a very strange film, a big-budget spectacular that eschews spectacle for moments in-between the fights. There are more shots of men sitting than shooting. It’s a case study for what Jean-Pierre Coursodon has called his “basically leisurely approach to filmmaking.” He slackens the normal pace of this WWII propaganda picture, made with the support of the U.S. Marines, to dig into one-night stands and poignant love affairs. Coursodon continues in his “American Directors” essay:

“when confronted with a war picture, and therefore a predominantly male cast, Walsh uses the flimsiest pretexts to sneak in as many women as possible. Most of Battle Cry’s 149 minutes’ running time is devoted to the likes of Mona Freeman, Nancy  Olson, Dorothy Malone, and Anne Francis pleasantly cavorting with their boyfriends in blissful oblivion of whatever is meant by the film’s title.”

It’s a film about raucous canteens, maudlin bars, and the chatter that fills it up. James Whitmore’s Captain complains that he couldn’t read Hamlet, because “he reminds me of an uncle of mine in Dayton.” Then there are the mournful wives, girlfriends, mothers and one-night stands who populate their off-hours, replacing the ghosts of their sons and lovers with the lonely, eager visages of new recruits. Some live and some die, there are break-ups and weddings, and Walsh doesn’t linger on any of it.

“The great traffic cop of the movies”, as Manny Farber called him, kept things moving, as the world went ahead without them. One of the most expressive shots for me was in The Big Trail, in which a covered wagon gets ripped downstream as it tries to ford a river.  There are no close-ups or dramatic music swells or star actors, just a family losing all they own. Then there’s a cut, and our hero must move on.

28 Responses Learning to Love Raoul Walsh
Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi there, R. Emmet Sweeney,
The full title of my Walsh biography is RAOUL WALSH: THE TRUE ADVENTURES OF HOLLYWOOD’S LEGENDARY DIRECTOR. The “excerpt” on my site really is from a proposal I wrote long ago. It doesn’t truly pertain to the first chapter. The book is scheduled for Spring 2011.
Thanks,
Marilyn

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi there, R. Emmet Sweeney,
Thanks,
Marilyn

Posted By R. Emmet Sweeney : August 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Marilyn!

I changed the title and removed the link. Sorry if I mis-represented your book at all. I’m really looking forward to reading it.

Rob

Posted By R. Emmet Sweeney : August 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Marilyn!

Rob

Posted By Thomas Krul : August 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Wow, who needs to attend film appreciation classes any more? ;-) I saw a couple of these films on TVOntario as a kid (Elwe Yost) but the grandeur of the shots were completely lost on the little, lores screen. It’s a funny thing that the highdef revolution has brought about a renewed appreciation for classic film… We can finally see them in our homes in a way that approximates the cinematographer’s vision.

Posted By Thomas Krul : August 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Posted By Jeff Heise : August 17, 2010 4:03 pm

I was introduced to Walsh via the MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES series, and I always admired his straight-forward style of filmmaking. He, like Wellman, never thought of himself as an “artist,’ rather as a craftsman or good storyteller. I also liked the fact that he tended to shrug off many pretensions many film buffs and/or students liked to apply to him. I heard of a time when Walsh was at a symposium on his films and one questioner started getting into “auteur” directors and symbolism in a way that Walsh found a bit amusing. The quizzer asked Walsh about his use of religious symbolism at the end of ROARING TWENTIES and having Cagney die on the steps of a church after being shot to pieces by the cops. Walsh, having had enough, told his interrogator that “the set had been there for a while, no one was using it, so we did.”

When I saw THE BIG TRAIL at the re-premiere some years ago at the Academy, I was astounded how well Walsh composed for the widescreen, especially in the Indian attack (he uses ovals and rectangular images brilliantly) and the lowering of the wagons over the edge of a canyon in ways that make many of today’s directors seem like rank amateurs.

Posted By Jeff Heise : August 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks, Rob. I’m glad people know about my forthcoming Walsh bio. He had an amazing career to track–each decade a fascinating one. I hope that when people read the book they’ll get a sense of the man. It’s great to see so much appreciation for his work.
All best,
Marilyn

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 4:20 pm

All best,
Marilyn

Posted By Jeff Heise : August 17, 2010 5:09 pm

I am also looking forward to this bio. Marilyn-what silent films of Walsh are still extant, and were you able to see COCKEYED WORLD? I keep hoping Fox Movie Channel might slip up and show it someday, considering how huge a hit it was, you’d think it pop up from time to time. Would love to see RED DANCE, too.

Posted By Jeff Heise : August 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Yes, Jeff, I was able to get hold of both these titles. One can only hope that more are stashed in someone’s attic–unknowingly, maybe. The book’s filmography will be helpful. Thanks for your enthusiasm! MM

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 17, 2010 5:15 pm

Posted By suzidoll : August 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Great idea to throw some attention to Raoul Walsh, and I look forward to your later posts about RW. I have always liked his movies but it was his life story that really made him unforgettable to me. I remember reading the jackrabbit-through-the-windshield story when I was doing research for a film encyclopedia, and I told and re-told the story for months afterward. I sure hope Ms. Moss verifies that it is true. If it’s not true, it should be.

Posted By suzidoll : August 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 18, 2010 2:40 am

Yes, the jack rabbit story is absolutely true…MM

Posted By Marilyn Moss : August 18, 2010 2:40 am

Yes, the jack rabbit story is absolutely true…MM

Posted By Jeff L. Shannon : August 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Terrific stuff Suzie, my fav. of his 1939′s heavyweight with *Cagney “The Roaring Twenties”

& not 1 BD shot ever

(P.S. Suzie, have you given anymore thought to either the “Trading Cards”-(nobody will let me know the other 25???)

Or, even something on “Movie-Books,etc?”

Posted By Jeff L. Shannon : August 18, 2010 11:23 pm

& not 1 BD shot ever

Or, even something on “Movie-Books,etc?”

Posted By sleepy17 : August 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I feel that his early work is when he was the most careful and insightful. “Sadie Thompson” (1928) is a visual and emotional knock-out that made me reevaluate him! (I think I saw it on TCM.) Comparing that to some of the films made 25 years later (e.g. “Blackbeard the Pirate”), it’s like they weren’t even made by the same director. I am hoping that the Moss book will address this aspect of his career.

Posted By sleepy17 : August 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Posted By Parallax View » The View Beyond Parallax… more reads for week of August 20 : August 20, 2010 11:54 am

[...] Reaching back, last week’s discussion of the “Errol Flynn Adventures” box set helps point the way through a major reevaluation of Raoul Walsh, which reverberates back through Mike Grost’s “web book” on Raoul Walsh and forward through a posting on TCM’s Movie Morlocks. [...]

Posted By TCM's Classic Movie Blog : August 24, 2010 2:02 pm

[...] I’m jumping through his career haphazardly, watching whatever I can easily acquire. Last week led me from 1930 to 1955, but today I’m mired in the 1940s, thanks to the Warner Bros.-TCM [...]

Posted By TCM's Classic Movie Blog : August 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Posted By Wayne Murphy : November 8, 2010 12:31 pm

Found this website by accident, and glad I did. Raoul Walsh was a relative so I’m always interested in viewing or reading about his work. I’m a big fan of TCM for this reason and will look forward to the upcoming biography by Marilyn Ann Moss.

Posted By Wayne Murphy : November 8, 2010 12:31 pm

Current day month ye@r *

3-D  Action Films  Actors  Actors' Endorsements  Actresses  animal stars  Animation  Anime  Anthology Films  Art in Movies  Autobiography  Avant-Garde  Aviation  Awards  B-movies  Beer in Film  Behind the Scenes  Best of the Year lists  Biography  Biopics  Blu-Ray  Books on Film  Boxing films  British Cinema  Canadian Cinema  Character Actors  Chicago Film History  Cinematography  Classic Films  College Life on Film  Comedy  Comic Book Movies  Crime  Czech Film  Dance on Film  Digital Cinema  Directors  Disaster Films  Documentary  Drama  DVD  Early Talkies  Editing  Educational Films  European Influence on American Cinema  Experimental  Exploitation  Fairy Tales on Film  Faith or Christian-based Films  Family Films  Film Composers  Film Criticism  film festivals  Film History in Florida  Film Noir  Film Scholars  Film titles  Filmmaking Techniques  Films of the 1980s  Food in Film  Foreign Film  French Film  Gangster films  Genre  Genre spoofs  HD & Blu-Ray  Holiday Movies  Hollywood history  Hollywood lifestyles  Horror  Horror Movies  Icons  independent film  Italian Film  Japanese Film  Korean Film  Literary Adaptations  Martial Arts  Melodramas  Method Acting  Mexican Cinema  Moguls  Monster Movies  Movie Books  Movie Costumes  movie flops  Movie locations  Movie lovers  Movie Reviewers  Movie settings  Movie Stars  Movies about movies  Music in Film  Musicals  Outdoor Cinema  Paranoid Thrillers  Parenting on film  Pirate movies  Polish film industry  political thrillers  Politics in Film  Pornography  Pre-Code  Producers  Race in American Film  Remakes  Revenge  Road Movies  Romance  Romantic Comedies  Satire  Scandals  Science Fiction  Screenwriters  Semi-documentaries  Serials  Short Films  Silent Film  silent films  Social Problem Film  Sports  Sports on Film  Stereotypes  Straight-to-DVD  Studio Politics  Stunts and stuntmen  Suspense thriller  TCM Classic Film Festival  TCM Underground  Television  The British in Hollywood  The Germans in Hollywood  The Hungarians in Hollywood  The Irish in Hollywood  Theaters  Thriller  Trains in movies  Underground Cinema  VOD  War film  Westerns  Women in the Film Industry  Women's Weepies