Milton Reid in Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg

" /> Milton Reid in Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg

" /> Milton Reid in Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg

" />

MILTON REID “The Mighty Chang”

Sometimes you’ll be watching a film and a minor supporting player will suddenly appear and command your attention in a way that is more powerful and immediate than the leading Milton Reid as actors. It could a physical gesture they make or a line of dialogue uttered in an unusual way or simply the look of their face or body or both. Milton Reid is one of those actors. His credit is likely to be down toward the bottom of the cast list with the designated role of “The Executioner” or “The Bodyguard” or “The Club Bouncer” or “The Big Pirate” but it’s his mug that will stick in your memory long after the film fades. He appears to be of Asian descent though one biographical reference intimated that his ususual features were the result of Turner syndrome which is incorrect because that rare genetic disorder only affects about 1 out of every 2,500 FEMALE births. But it’s possible that his exotic look was the result of something other than being the son of an Irish father and Indian (as in Bombay) mother.

Strangely enough, my introduction to this imposing character actor wasn’t in a movie but in a series of trading cards issued by Universal in 1963 known as “Spook Stories” which stuck silly captions on stills from the studio’s horror films (here’s a link to an article on Monster trading cards – http://www.monsterwax.com/terrortour.html). There were two images of Mr. Reid from the 1962 Hammer film NIGHT CREATURES that conjured up all kinds of crazy scenarios in my mind of who this character was. (The original British title of NIGHT CREATURES was CAPTAIN CLEGG which was a remake of the 1937 British feature; Walt Disney remade it in 1963 for television where it was broadcast in three parts on “The Wonderful World of Disney” as “The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh” and Patrick McGoohan played “The Scarecrow” aka Dr. Syn.)

A Spook Stories trading card featuring Milton Reid

When I finally caught up with NIGHT CREATURES years later Mr. Reid does indeed pop out of the screen during his brief scenes as “The Mulatto,” a huge mountain of a man whose tongue is cut out because of his treachery to the pirate Captain Clegg. He is later used by the relentless Captain Collier (Patrick Allen) to sniff out the incognito Clegg who is behind a smuggling operation in the village of Dymchurch. The film is a rousing and highly atmospheric period thriller with some wonderful visuals (the appearance of the marsh phantoms), and spirited performances (Peter Cushing, Patrick Allen and Oliver Reed have fun with their roles). But Milton Reid’s larger than life presence is mesmerizing. He’s like a caged wild animal here, grunting, growling and desperate, and though his part is relatively small, it’s of crucial importance to the story and leads to Clegg’s undoing.

NIGHT CREATURES, however, is probably an exception to most of the films Reid made where his on-screen time was barely more than that of an extra. And he rarely had dialogue because with a face and body like that who needs it? But even in one scene appearances or minor supporting roles you couldn’t miss the guy. He stands out the way Tor Johnson does in the Ed Wood films. You can’t look at anything else. You might not have known his name but you’ve probably seen him many times – he was the Japanese executioner in THE CAMP ON BLOOD ISLAND (1958), the big pirate in Walt Disney’s SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (1960), a guard working for DR. NO (1962), the strong man in BERSERK! (1967), the mute dog handler in THE BLOOD ON SATAN’S CLAW (1971) which will be shown on TCM’s Underground franchise on 3/28, Biederbeck’s man servant in DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN (1972), he played Sabbala in THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (1977) and Sandor in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977).

Milton Reid on far right in BERSERK!

According to a biography for Reid posted on IMDB by Jim Marshall, Reid was born in Bombay, India in 1917. He moved to London in 1936, married fashion illustrator Bertha Lilian Guyett in 1939 and made his first film appearance in the British propaganda film THE WAY AHEAD in 1944. Then the bio gets extremely interesting: “After the war he trained as a wrestler, turning professional in 1952, firstly as a Tarzan-like character called Jungle Boy wearing leopard skin trunks. He also continued to play small parts in films, usually as a tough guy or bodyguard, often as a cruel henchman such as the Japanese executioner in THE CAMP ON BLOOD ISLAND (1958). His break-through came in 1959 when he was required to shave his head for the role of Yen the pirate in FERRY TO HONG KONG. He remained shaven-headed for the rest of his career, also changing his wrestling image to that of “The Mighty Chang,” an oriental giant. On stage he played in pantomime at the London Palladium as the Slave of the Lamp…However, most people remember Milton Reid as the bodyguard sorting out pretty girls for his boss in a long-running pipe tobacco commercial. In 1964 Milton challenged “The Great Togo” (aka Harold Sakata) to a wrestling contest to decide who would play the coveted role of Odd-Job in G0LDFINGER. Unfortunately, Milton had already been killed off in the first Bond movie Dr No (1962), so the producers were forced to pick Sakata and the “eliminator contest” wasn’t needed.”

Reid on box art for THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT

Reid’s film career began to wind down in the late seventies and some of his last roles were in such sleazy softcore features as CONFESSIONS FROM THE DAVID GALAXY AFFAIR (1979) and QUEEN OF THE BLUES (1979), his final credited screen appearance. According to a poster on the www.britmovie.co.uk forums, there is an article on Reid in the book KEEPING THE BRITISH END UP, a survey of British softcore sex comedies. However, Reid’s story becomes much more unusual after 1979. Jim Marshall’s IMDB bio states that “Milton decided to try his luck in “Bollywood” and in 1980 returned to India. However, various problems arose and in 1981 he was arrested by Indian police for “trespassing, damaging furniture and disconnecting a telephone.” The trouble started when he visited his mother and sister in Bangalore, and there was a dispute with tenants at his sister’s bungalow. Police also complained of violence and abuse when they tried to detain him, and there were accusations of a manservant being assaulted. The following year Milton was stated by some reference works to have died from a heart attack, but that was incorrect. The actor’s son (same name) was still receiving correspondence sent by his father from Bangalore up to December 1986. Significantly, nothing was heard after that date, and the present assumption is that Milton Reid died in obscurity somewhere in India during the early part of 1987, although no death certificate or confirmation has been received by the family. Sadly, Bertha died in England in 1997, at the age of 90, still not knowing what had become of her husband. However, research continues.”

Despite the above information, some internet biographical sources have maintained that Reid died of a heart attack in London in 1982 but offer no explanation or evidence of their research. Reid’s grandson, Ian Reid, in fact, has challenged this fact in a web posting that read “I would be very interested to find out where the information about his death came from as this does not agree with how my family and I believe his life came to an end. His death and the location of his death are in fact a mystery. Therefore I would be interested to hear about any proof that backs up the claim that he died in London of a heart attack in 1982.”

We may never know what happened to “The Mighty Chang” but at least we can marvel at his unique presence in more than fifty films. Reid as Sandor in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

30 Responses MILTON REID “The Mighty Chang”
Posted By Mr. Blobby : January 20, 2008 1:18 pm

I had a recent Milton Reid sighting during a rental of the softcore AU PAIR GIRLS and before that I glimpsed him in the James Bond wannabe DEADLIER THAN THE MALE. Was he ever given speaking parts? Maybe his tongue really was cut out by Captain Clegg!

Posted By Mr. Blobby : January 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Posted By Robert : January 20, 2008 5:35 pm

There was an excellent – and quite extensive – article on Milton Reid's life and career published in the specialty magazine "Little Shoppe of Horrors" within the last few years.  The particular issue number escapes me, but I think it was #17 as it was substantially concerned with NIGHT CREATURES / CAPTAIN CLEGG.  Well worth seeking out.

Posted By Robert : January 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Posted By Jeff : January 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks Robert. I'm not familiar with the "Little Shop of Horrors" fanzine but will try to track down that Reid article.

Posted By Jeff : January 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Posted By cso : January 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Jeff – Thanks for the link to monsterwax.com.  As usual, I start reading one thing and drift over the double white line into something else completely engrossing.  Did you see the Mars Attacks cards . .wow Tim Burton totally ripped off  . .I mean "paid hommage" to this Topps line. Do you think he had to pay royalties to borrow so heavily from this material? The stories are really funny. As far as them (the cards) contributing to communist leanings, The "Mars Attacks" line adds a whole new meaning to the term "Red Menace". Pray for me Sister Mary Margaret, I'm addicted to websites that are more appropriate for 12 year olds!

Posted By cso : January 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Posted By Jeff : January 25, 2008 8:20 pm

I first learned about the MARS ATTACKS cards from a next door neighbor who had the whole collection and obsessed over them. This was in the late seventies and only horror geeks/card collectors knew about these things. I was surprised at how graphic some of the cards were since they were aimed at kids. I wish Burton's attempt at a film version had been more of a scary, end of the world film than the silly, star-packed cameofest it became despite some fun moments.

Posted By Jeff : January 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Posted By Joe (On holiday) : March 23, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks for putting this page up. I too have a bit of an interest in Milton Reid and always will make a point of catching a film if he is in it. I've seen him in a few films and I think my first memory of him was in FERRY TO HONG KONG, a film that starred Kurt Jurgens and Orson Wells. Reid played the brutish bandit YEN who was Johnny Sing Up's partner, played by the Late Roy Chiao. In answer to Mr Blobby's post, yes Milton Reid did indeed have a voice and had some speaking roles , actaully a little more than just the one or two word answers as in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Just listen to the somewhat colourful talk that his MR YEN character has to say in FERRY TO HONG KONG. Now its just occurred to me that here are two occasions that he had worked in the same film as Kurt Jurgens .Anyway  I always noticed him in other films like NIGHT CREATURES and the odd HAMMER film etc as well as the odd TV show. I would even say that there are some odd uncredited roles that are not even recorded at movie databasesI hope to see some more info shared about him. There  must be many people still living who were in the Wrestling and Film business. I've noticed in some forums a few people that have an interest in him as well. It would be nice to see a good bio of his life.There is a picture of him in a book, sitting with some members of The Rolling Stones. This was from the unreleased film ROCK'N ROLL CURCUS. Miton Reid I think would be the only villain actor to appear in three of  James Bond Films, DR NO, CASINO ROYALE & THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. There possibly would have been four had Harold Sakata not got the role of Odd Job in GOLDFINGER. Milton Reid actually tried out for it. I wonder if he did a screen test for it or did some outfit poses that were photographed.Now imagine this if you will, Milton Reid and Woody Strode in a film together, having a fight or whatever. That would have been something and somehow I just don't think many actors today had what those guys had.

Posted By Joe (On holiday) : March 23, 2008 8:27 am

Posted By mohan padman : July 5, 2008 3:02 am

Strangely my comments on Miltn Reid seem to have disappeared, so I am repeating them. I met him on one of my extended visits to Bangalore in the 80′s when he was being photographed in a studio which I used for some photographic work. He became quite friendly and seeing me in the distance, would call out my name on the busy Brigade Road, attracting the attention of the public not only because of his powerful voice but also because of his habit of dressing wearing an open leather waistcoat edged with tassels, exposing his massive chest, and a sort of gladiator like kilt. His sandals with leather straps were wound round his calves and he carried a whip. He wore white rimmed dark glasses and a white plastic dot stuck on his temple.
Over the course of months we met on occasions and even drank together. He would carry a bag in which amongst other things was his own cut-glass tumbler double the normal size, more like a vase. He would order a half bottle of rum and a bottle of soda. He then poured half of the rum into the glass and as a concesssion a quick dash of soda and finish it in two gulps. Outside the hotel he would have a cycle rickshaw wait as he wouldn’t take a taxi back to his home where he stayed with his sister whom he claimed had been in a mental institution in England which was making her worse not better, so he brought her back to Bangalore where his parents had lived for the past 40 years and set her up as a beautician. This job gave her direction and she improved enough to handle the business herself. However he had also come to get a settlement from the landlord who wanted them out of the house so he could develop the property. Altercations took place and one memorable time the police were called and he knocked out two and a dozen were needed to restrain him. He claimed they had attacked him and he had every right to defend himself.
In his bag he also carried some trinkets and stuff to make himself up to look oriental, like two flattened tubes which he inserted into his nose to widen the nostrils and false buck teeth which he slipped on over his perfect set of natural ones. He would then put on a goofy expression and wave his arms about much to my amusement and anyone else who saw him, though we usually sat in a semi enclosed booth. He would regale me and friends who were aware of the film characters he gossiped about, though a number were British and less well known to the Bangalorean, so he enjoyed talking about them to me as I lived in London and knew where he hung out and could relate to things he spoke about. He told me that i didn’t look or speak like a ‘Mohan” – his way of saying I looked and talked more English than Indian!
He told me he had tried getting a role in a South Indian movie and met the popular actor who promised him a part but in the midst of talking to him the ‘matinee idol’ saw some female fans waving and got up abruptly to sign their autograph books and didn’t return.
On one of my subsequent trips back, a couple of years later, I learned from a lawyer who I was consulting and who had also handled some work for Milton Reid, that he had passed away.
So he died in the country of his birth.

Posted By mohan padman : July 5, 2008 3:02 am

So he died in the country of his birth.

Posted By morlockjeff : July 6, 2008 6:43 pm

Mohan,

Thank you for the wonderful anecdotes and first hand accounts about Milton. It’s quite rare to have someone respond who actually met him and spent some time around him.

Posted By morlockjeff : July 6, 2008 6:43 pm

Mohan,

Posted By Paul : January 4, 2009 8:54 pm

Whenever Milton Reid appeared on TV in one movie or another, my sister would always comment “that bloke lives in Shepherd’s Bush” (West London). I thought she was kidding until I saw him for myself, driving a bright red convertable sports car along the Uxbridge Road near Shepherd’s Bush Market. I saw him a few more times in that car which stood out like a giant tomato (as did Milton himself).

Posted By Paul : January 4, 2009 8:54 pm

Posted By Ken : November 1, 2009 12:46 pm

I also used to see him when i was a kid living in Shepherds Bush driving that car and also had the luck to have been eating in an indian restaurant that used to be in shepherds bush before they built the shopping centre there opposite the entrance to the central line station.My dad told me to go ask for his autograph and he gave me a photo card of the golden hinde series that he was in at the time.
He used that restaurant a lot as I saw him there on many occassions,as you can imagine he stood out from the crowd.
will always remember him, and a sad loss to all who knew him or liked him.

Posted By Ken : November 1, 2009 12:46 pm

will always remember him, and a sad loss to all who knew him or liked him.

Posted By Vic : December 29, 2009 5:14 pm

I briefly saw him in a large open top American car near Barnes Bridge station, on the southern side. The top was down and he was wearing his usual dark glasses. IIRC, the car was light blue and he was accompanied by a blonde lady.
This would have been in about 1981.

Posted By Vic : December 29, 2009 5:14 pm

This would have been in about 1981.

Posted By mike lewis : April 4, 2011 8:26 am

I used to live in brook green W6, next to the queens head pub.It was frequented by a lot of stars back in the sixties, and i remember Milton ambling along the green one day near what used to be “Bute house”. A fine looking chap, and its nice to see that people still remember him.

Posted By mike lewis : April 4, 2011 8:26 am

Posted By john maclaren : June 16, 2011 6:30 am

Milton was indeed around The Bush area and his sports car was a Meto-Nash. Was lucky to have been driven by him to his weight lifting session. As the car was small he used to part parallel and push it in. Great guy. I seem to remember his voice was high pitched, probably why he spoke little in films.

Posted By john maclaren : June 16, 2011 6:30 am

Posted By Sian : August 6, 2011 1:09 pm

Milton used to come and visit us in Kent when I was a nipper – I remember being in a big blue car with sheepskin lining. My father was the creative behind the St Bruno ads and they became friends. He was a great character. We all used to go swimming as a family and he used to take great delight in throwing me up in the air into the water (thank god for me water wings as he was very strong!). He was a true gentle man as I remember, used to call me his little Sian. Didn’t have a high pitched voice as I remember – just the opposite. My dad has great stories of him. So sad that his death is unknown.

Posted By Sian : August 6, 2011 1:09 pm

Posted By anthony patten : September 5, 2013 5:40 pm

miltons son also named Milton was one of my best mates in the 1960s I used to live in hammersmith but grew up in shepherds bush ,Milton jnr lived in tadmor street,mr reid senior had a red thunderbird car in which he took me and his son to his weight training sessions at a pub in Putney also Chiswick open air swimming baths where kiddies would flock around Milton,mrs reid would often make me a breakfast when I stayed at his house after anight out with the boys.

Posted By Richard Eves : October 5, 2013 9:47 pm

Milton or Spike as we called him spent a lot of time at Chiswick Open Air Pools on sunny summer days and I knew him for 20 years until the pools closed in 1980. He was a very nice soft spoken gentle man which was at complete variance to his appearance. We used to talk to him about his film work and wrestling and he was very candid and modest. When I first knew him he had a 57 Thunderbird I think in pink and then a light blue Chevelle convertible. He lived in Shepherds Bush as so many others have said but was well known in Chiswick and very well thought of and a real charcter.
Richard