She lost it at the voovies

VJMy not-quite 2-year-old daughter said the word “movie” for the first time yesterday.  My heart swelled.  Actually, what she said was “voovie”… but the implication was clear: she wanted to see a movie… and she knew which one….  She owns half a dozen Brainy Baby VHS tapes and some Baby Einstein DVDs; at the end of the day, when she’s having her milk before her bath, we often ask if she wants to watch one of her “movies.”  They’re fun little shows, full of light and color and animals, both domestic and wild and they provide us with 30 to 40 minutes of catch-up time in which to wash dinner dishes, pick up toys, or get the garbage out.  Historically it’s been our suggestion but yesterday Vayda Jane announced, a propos of nothing, “A gudda gudda gudda gudda… voovie?”  It goes like that in this house – multiple syllables of unintelligible gibberish with a slight Norwegian cast capped by a single word that ties the whole sentence together.

But what movie to watch?  Vayda was very specific:  “Mawnkey, eeeeee, ah-bay-see.”  Allow me to translate.  She wanted to see a movie with monkeys and elephants and she wouldn’t mind at all if they worked the alphabet in there somewhere.”

Not many parents would celebrate this milestone but it’s meaningful to me because I spend so much of each day watching movies, thinking about movies, researching movies and writing about them.   It’s what I do, it’s who I am… and I’m that way, I guess, because many, many years ago movies became a priority to me.  I crossed a line.  I chose movies over sunny days, brisk exercise, superhero comics and tossing the ball with my Dad.  And yesterday, in the middle of having some other kind of fun, Vayda stopped what she was doing and demanded a voovie. We put it on.  She squealed in anticipation.  She sang along with the theme song.  (I do that sometimes.)  She pointed at the TV.  “Cow!” she announced to my wife when that animal appeared on the screen.  Even though she’s seen this tape many times she still gets excited when she sees the cow.  I get the same way when I see Strother Martin’s bit part in Kiss Me Deadly or Owin Howland in… anything.  I get that excited.  Sometimes I scare my wife.  “OH MY GOD!” I’ll shriek, knees off the floor, as my Barbara jumps out of her skin.  WhatwhatWHAT?!!”  I’m pointing feebly at the TV as Owin Howland does his bit in Them! and Barbara just rolls her eyes.

Vayda’s first word?  I’m thinking… early 2006.  Her first step?  Last summer, probably June… but don’t quote me.  These milestones are fuzzy.  Yet June 3, 2007 is a date I will remember as the day my daughter decided she would rather be watching a movie than doing anything else.

That's my girl.

10 Responses She lost it at the voovies
Posted By MikeJ : June 5, 2007 4:09 pm

In the picture above, Vayda has just been informed that Michael Bay is remaking "The Birds".

Posted By MikeJ : June 5, 2007 4:09 pm

Posted By Jeff : June 6, 2007 8:54 pm

I'm thinking that you might show her The Blob with Steve McQueen. The colors are bright and the ooey-gooey title creature will probably make her laugh (scary music and screams though). On second thought don't. BUT OWLIN HOWLAND IS IN IT…..briefly. He's the first victim. But if Vayda Jane likes monkeys, then I strongly recommend Monkey Trouble by Franco Amurri (his only American film) starring Harvey Keitel and Thora Birch….and, of course, the amazing Finster. You and Barbara will like it too.

Posted By Jeff : June 6, 2007 8:54 pm

Posted By RHS : June 6, 2007 10:15 pm

Yeah, Monkey Trouble… our friend Victor Argo (in whose memory our son Li'l Vic is named) is in that, too.  The other night I was up with my 3 week old son, giving him a midnight bottle, and Abel Ferrara's New Rose Hotel was on.  It was weird hearing Victor Argo's voice while I rocked his namesake.

Posted By RHS : June 6, 2007 10:15 pm

Posted By Medusa : June 7, 2007 12:32 pm

You've done your job well, RHS!  And what a cutie she is, too!  What a lucky kid, to have a dad like you to guide her and introduce her to life's rich pageant of cinema delights!

Posted By Medusa : June 7, 2007 12:32 pm

Posted By Susie : June 7, 2007 3:28 pm

This is adorable, well-written, on topic and she's uber cute.  Sadly I am not a voovie expert — I don't know my Strother from my brother or my Owin from my Odin… but I totally dig this post.  Rck it RHS!

Posted By Susie : June 7, 2007 3:28 pm