This might be the most glamorous picture I've ever seen! Bette Davis looks like a villain in a Disney movie or something. And of course, she's got that cigarette.

The Dick Cavett Show is also great for seeing the most amazing 1970's fashions ever. I can't wait to see what Robert Mitchum has picked out.

" />

" />

" />

Smoke ‘Em If You Got ‘Em

TCM is running a mini-marathon of The Dick Cavett Show this morning and afternoon. I'll be tuning in all day because I love seeing people smoking and drinking on the set of any 1970's talk show or game show. It's so decadent!

10:15 AM

Woody Allen (1971)
  Woody Allen appears on The Dick Cavett Show in an interview that originally aired October 20, 1971. C-0 mins, TV-PG, CC
11:30 AM Robert Mitchum (1971)
  Robert Mitchum appears on The Dick Cavett Show in an interview that originally aired on April 29, 1971. C-0 mins, TV-14, CC
12:45 PM Alfred Hitchcock (1972)
  Alfred Hitchcock appears in an episode of The Dick Cavett Show that originally aired June 8, 1972. C-0 mins, TV-PG, CC
2:00 PM Bette Davis (1971)
  Bette Davis appears on The Dick Cavett Show in an interview that originally aired November 17, 1971. C-0 mins, TV-PG, CC
3:15 PM Groucho Marx (1969)
  Groucho Marx appears on The Dick Cavett Show in an interview that originally aired June 13, 1969. C-0 mins, TV-PG, CC
4:15 PM Katharine Hepburn (One) (1973)
  Katharine Hepburn appears on The Dick Cavett Show in an interview that originally aired September 14, 1973. C-0 mins, TV-14, CC
5:30 PM Dick Cavett Show, The: Mel Brooks (2006)
  In this TCM world premiere interview, comedian Mel Brooks discusses his life and career with Dick Cavett. C-0 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format
18 Responses Smoke ‘Em If You Got ‘Em
Posted By Claudia : October 23, 2006 12:56 pm

I saw all of the interviews except Woody Allen's.  Bette Davis was my favorite.  She was very charismatic and funny.  Hitchcock was funny.  Mitchem was pathetically drunk. and Katherine Hepburn was a bit diasappointing, but still interesting.

Posted By Claudia : October 23, 2006 12:56 pm

Posted By Moira : October 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I share the appreciation expressed here for seemingly impudent adult vices such as smoking, drinking and, in the case of Davis and Hepburn, playful flirting. It makes me realize that it's been awhile since such stress relievers were commonplace, unanalyzed and acceptable.  I didn't find Robert Mitchum to be notably soused, just well oiled, shall we say? I thought that he looked quite fit and he seemed a charming fellow, bemused by his own fame and rather diffident. BTW, Mitchum wore a good, well-tailored blue suit for his interview–no nehru jackets or tee shirts. He seemed to realize–or at least someone did–that he needed to appear as his best, adult self in Cavett's showcase. The only character whose comments I found repulsed me were those of Woody Allen, who despite the unfortunate publicity of the last decade or so, remains a talented, and at times, very funny & insightful filmmaker.  Unfortunately, for me his feet of clay showed up the minute that he began talking facetiously about his former wife's rape on the streets of Manhattan. Not funny, then or now. I do wonder if Fred Astaire, whose Cavett interview has been included in the dvd of these programs, was left out of the TCM feature due to his widow's sometimes puzzling attempts to protect/exploit his image. All the same, it's a shame that he wasn't included. I found that generally, these interviews were enjoyable, though, Hitchcock may have been at a low ebb when his sequence was filmed. He came across as an after dinner speaker whose stories have been told once too often–though maybe it's just me.

Posted By Moira : October 23, 2006 2:21 pm

Posted By linda : October 24, 2006 10:42 am

Is it my imagination or did the Cavett interviews seem better 30 years ago?  Or is it that the great ones were on public television and not on commercial tv?

Posted By linda : October 24, 2006 10:42 am

Posted By John O’Connor : October 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Yes, those were the days. Days when movie stars were really stars and not the child-like celebrities that roam today's landscape, darting in and out of the courts, then landing spots on late-night talk shows for meaningless lack-of-dept interviews–pure pap most of the time– with fawning hosts. The smoking and drinking? I say hail to those days when Americans were free to act as individuals. Today we have become cowed by government regulations and do-gooders.

Posted By John O’Connor : October 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Posted By Claudia : October 27, 2006 11:45 am

I enjoyed Katherine Hepburn  much, much more in the second interview.  She  warmed  up a bit more and was  more fun  to watch.   She seemed more comfortable with Dick Cavett.  I love this series. KEEP IT GOING!!  WE WANT  MORE THAN 9 EPISODES! !

Posted By Claudia : October 27, 2006 11:45 am

Posted By Domenic Coraro : October 27, 2006 9:09 pm

Either TCM or DirecTV tranmission errors started Dick Cavette's "Katherine Hepburn Two" about ten minutes into the program.  Because I recorded it, I did not learn that I will "miss" the first ten minutes of the program unless TCM plays it again.  I don't think it is scheduled for November, but I wonder how many of us missed it because of the transmission glitch.  Can anybody say if TCM plans to show it again?

Posted By Domenic Coraro : October 27, 2006 9:09 pm

Posted By Domenic Corsaro : October 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Either TCM or DirecTV tranmission errors started Dick Cavette's "Katherine Hepburn Two" about ten minutes into the program (Thursday, Oct. 26, 8 p.m.).  Because I recorded it, I did not learn until today, Friday, that I will "miss" and do not "have" the first ten minutes of the program.  Unless TCM plays it again and I am alerted it to it in advance, I may never see the opening of the program.  It is not scheduled for November, and I wonder how many of us missed it because of the DirecTV or TCM transmission glitch.  Can anybody say if TCM plans to show "Katherine Hepburn Two" again?

Posted By Domenic Corsaro : October 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Posted By Samantha : August 19, 2011 11:15 am

I love Dick Cavett. He was such a smart talk show host and his interviews were fascinating. Unlike todays where they spend 5 minutes with a star and don’t get anywhere, Dick got really in depth with his stars, and he chose such fabulous guests. They’re people I WANT to spend an hour and a half with. And some of them are really funny too. I love this show.

Posted By Samantha : August 19, 2011 11:15 am