" /> Lock MartinIt's too late to send a card, as the man passed away almost 50 years ago, but we believe some little fuss should be made to commemorate the birth of Lock Martin.

" />

It’s Lock Martin’s Birthday!

Lock MartinIt’s too late to send a card, as the man passed away almost 50 years ago, but we believe some little fuss should be made to mark the occasion of Lock Martin’s birthday.  Born on October 12, 1916, in South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Joseph Lockard Martin, Jr. was one of twins, whose brother Donald died in childhood.  Growing to an impressive 7 feet, 7 inches, Martin held down a variety of jobs before being hired as a doorman for Graumann’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood.  It was there that he was discovered and later hired by Twentieth Century Fox to play the robot Gort (called “Gnut” in the original source story by Harry Bates) in Robert Wise’s science fiction classic The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).

Covered up completely by a head-to-foot latex costume that he could wear for only half an hour at a time, Lock Martin didn’t become a household name but his iconic Gort has endured as a cult figure on the grand level of Metropolis‘ Futura (1928) and Star Wars‘ Darth Vader (1977).  Despite Gort’s reputation as an invincible protector, Lock Martin himself was quite frail and unable to lift leading lady Patricia Neal, much less leading man Michael Rennie.  (The few existing photographs of Martin sans costume suggest he might have suffered from acromegaly, as did character actors Rondo Hatton and Richard Kiel.)  Camera trickery and creative framing allowed Martin and Gort to appear suitably able-bodied… and a star was born.

Martian MartinMartin later turned up in a ceiling-scraping cameo as a marrauding extraterrestrial  in Invaders From Mars (1953) but his bit as a sideshow giant was cut out of The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957).  By that time, the tall man’s time was short… and he died in Los Angeles on January 19, 1959, at the age of only 42.

Fifty five years after The Day the Earth Stood Still wrapped in the spring of 1951, Gort remains as titanic and popular as the day he first stepped out on to the Washington Mall, while Lock Martin’s contribution to this science fiction classic in particular and to the fantastic in general will never been forgotten.

Klaatu… barada… nikto-birthday, Lock!

43 Responses It’s Lock Martin’s Birthday!
Posted By DaveM : October 16, 2006 10:06 am

Thank you for honoring the man who played Gort – a truely unrecognized hero.

Posted By DaveM : October 16, 2006 10:06 am

Thank you for honoring the man who played Gort – a truely unrecognized hero.

Posted By Michelle : October 22, 2006 2:10 am

I always notice a bit of awkwardness about the scene where Gort picks up Helen, now I know why.  Too bad he was cut out of The Incredible Shrinking Man!  Nice tribute.

Posted By Michelle : October 22, 2006 2:10 am

Posted By Jim : October 24, 2006 12:57 pm

I agree.  A most touching and kind summary of a movie icon – in the real sense.

Posted By Jim : October 24, 2006 12:57 pm

I agree.  A most touching and kind summary of a movie icon – in the real sense.

Posted By Michael : May 5, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks for posting the pics and the story about this actor. I often wondered about the person who had to be in that suit. I thought it might be somebody on stilts, but that didn't seem to quite work. By the way, I found this while doing research on Gort, as I am begining a project to accurately recreate the costume. I had to know how big to make it… I wasn't prepared for quite this tall. Yikes!

Posted By Michael : May 5, 2007 2:46 pm

Posted By Eric Martin : May 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks for honoring Joseph "Lock" Martin, Jr., my grandfather's first cousin.  I never met him as he died the same year I was born (1959), but I've talked with many relatives who knew him.  I've also got a couple letters he wrote to relatives back in Pennsylvania while he was in Hollywood.  And a few pictures.  Thanks again…

Posted By Eric Martin : May 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Posted By RHS : May 23, 2007 12:17 am

Eric, thanks for writing.  It would be interesting to hear Lock Martin's thoughts on life and work in Hollywood, if for no other reason than to give a voice to this tall, silent type.

Posted By RHS : May 23, 2007 12:17 am

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:31 pm

1780 N. SycamoreHollywood, Calif.August 24, 1942Dear Geneva:At long last a letter is coming your way from me. You last wrote from Bellevue, so I hope this letter reaches you alright.Yes, I believe it was just about a year ago that you were out here. Rhoda mentioned that fact two weeks ago when I was over there enjoying a barbecued hamburger dinner that was the most delicious I have ever had. Their children and families were there too, as well as thier daughter-in-laws parents. We had a grand time, talking and later most of us ended up by playing, Tripoli, until midnite. Doris leaves real soon now for her school in Wasco and Edith can't decide whether to continue in her work or go back to school. They must have had a very nice vacation at Yosemite, judging from the pictures they brought back and from the way they all told about it.My vacation is all over. I was in Colo. from the 6th of July to the 20th. It was the best vacation I have ever had. I made the round trip by airplane, and I don't think I would ever want to make a long trip any other way. It is no effort at all, you're comfortable, there is no dust or dirt and you arrive at your destination quickly feeling almost as fresh as when you started. I left here at nine in the morning and after waiting in Albuquerque three hours while I changed planes, I arrived in Pueblo at 8:15 that evening where the folks met me. Coming back I didn't have so long to wait at Albuquerque and left Pueblo at 9:20 arriving here at five that evening. We flew right over the Grand Canyon both times, and coming back we flew above the clouds for awhile, which thrilled me very much. Mother, Dad and I spent three days right up in the mountains about 100 miles from Canon, and we also spent three days in Denver, when I got a chance to see my old friends there. The rest of the time I was in Canon, trying to be with my sister and her family as much as possible and seeing other friends I had there. I was going all the time I was away, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I hope that travel won't be restricted next summer so I can again go back.Things here on the coast seem about the same. Lots of service men everywhere, and I believe the coast is keeping up its preparedness to the point that if anything does happen, we will be ready for it. A dim-out order went into effect last week, and now the only light you can see on Hollywood Blvd. is that of the street lights, and I hear that even they may have to be dimmed. It gives me the creeps sometimes to look down the Blvd. and see it just half lit. To me it will be a blessed event when all the lights can again be turned on, after this war.We have had one premier at the theatre, "Tales of Manhattan" and there is to be another one, Sept. 2nd we will premier "The Pied Piper." Since we have the dim-out I don't know how they are going to light up the forecourt enough so pictures can be taken and so people can tell who is going in. I heard that they might erect a tent over the forecourt, but I'll have to wait and see.Sincerely,Lockard

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:43 pm

Towering Comedian, Former Valley Resident, Honored HereLockard Martin, comedian with the famous Spike Jones orchestra was given a warm welcome Friday by friends and relatives in the town of his birth, Bridgewater.Arriving Thursday night from Pittsburgh, where he has been appearing this week with the orchestra, he was the overnight guest of his mother's sister, Miss Jennie McElveen, Rochester. Coming to Bridgewater Friday afternoon, he was welcomed by many persons who called at the home of his uncle, John Martin and his cousins, Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Helble and little daughter Louise, to see this giant of a man, who stretches seven feet-four inches from the floor.The son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Martin, who now reside in Canon City, Col., he was formerly a doorman at a Denver theatre. During the war, he worked in a war plant, where he met his wife who lives in California, and is only sixty-five inches tall.He has appeared in a number of pictures in Hollywood and has been with Spike Jones for six months. His act is now put on with a midget, Frankie Little, fifty-one inches tall.During his brief visit in the Valley, Mr. Martin took him off to visit Ruth Martin, eldest daughter of the Paul Martins, Mengel Heights, Freedom, who was rushed to Beaver Valley Hospital Thursday nights and underwent an emergency appendectomy early Friday morning. He saved the Freedom high senior a great disappointment.A dinner was served in his honor at the community center of Van Buren Homes, Vanport Friday night to over ninety relatives, mostly from Beaver Valley, who are descendants of Martin's father and his brothers and sisters. Emmett Carney, Rochester, and Jerry Myers, Beaver Falls, directed a program of talks and group singing, with Howard Myers, College Hill, at the piano. "Tall little men" used as favors were made by Betty Ferguson of near Monaca. Each favor was autographed by the honored guest.Those serving on the dinner committee were: Mrs. Lester Crepps, Beaver, chairman; Mrs. Emmett Carney, Rochester; Mrs. Gilbert Steel, Beaver Falls; Mrs. Jerry Myers, Beaver Falls, and Mrs. W. R. Helble, Bridgewater.A book containing approximately one hundred fifty names of those who greeted Mr. Martin will be sent to his parents.– 1948 newspaper clipping

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:43 pm

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:47 pm

We were sure sorry to hear that you have been ill and hospitalized, Geneva. We first heard about it through Emma and Fred and then from my folks.It is sure no fun to be down and dependent on others to wait on you. I know, I have been on the sick list for five months too. But then things will work out, if you want them to, and maybe you are like me, you just need a good rest and then things will look better again. I sure hope so, Geneva. Best wishes and take your Dr's advice.Regards to everyone there.Lockard– Get-well card from Lockard Martin to Geneva Myers, date unknown

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Locks Martin, Nationally Known Tall Man, Dies In Van Nuys, Cal.Locks Martin, the biggest of Canon City's big men, is dead.The 7 foot 7 inch man, known throughout the United States for his many theatre appearances and parts in motion pictures, succumbed Monday night in Van Nuys, California. He had been ill for more than a year and his condition had been considered serious the last four months.Lockard Martin was born on Oct. 12, 1916 in West Bridgewater, Pa., and moved to Canon City with his parents in 1919. He received all of his education in Canon City schools and was a graduate of Canon City High School, class of 1934.His parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Martin, reside at 612 College, and a sister, Mrs. Harold Lawrence, also resides in Canon City.Soon after his graduation he went to Denver and was employed at the Denver Theatre. Then he was transferred to Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. Later he travelled with the Spike Jones Orchestra, his travels taking him to every state in the union. His last employment was with the Arden Farms company of Los Angeles, Calif. as a special representative.Locks Martin appeared on a number of the top television programs and several motion pictures. Canon City people will remember seeing him on Art Linkletter's "People Are Funny" and Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life." One well-known motion picture he appeared in was "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in which he played the part of a man from outer space. After the picture the actors and actresses presented to him a plaque and a miniature of himself for his fine work.On June 7, 1946 he married in California. His last trip home to Canon City was in the summer of 1957.Martin, more than anyone else realized his bigness. His size cramped his style in traveling, in buying clothes, in dining out. In fact, in almost everything he did, Locks had to adjust himself. He was a well proportioned man, possessed a pleasing personality. He liked kids and he never was too big to heed a small fry's request for an autograph or even a lift over the heads of the crowd. His heart was as big as all the 7 feet 7 inches of him.Lockard didn't play football. He did go out for basketball but he was growing by leaps and bounds and found it difficult to fit himself to the game. He was an ardent CCHS Tiger booster through the years.Lockard was a member of the Methodist church, the Masonic Lodge at Van Nuys, Calif., and the United Commercial Travelers.Surviving are his wife, Ethel, of Van Nuys, Calif., his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph S. Martin of Canon City, and two sisters, Mrs. Ruth Lawrence a teacher in the Canon City school system, and Mrs. Helen Brooks of Hollister, Calif. Also surviving are four nephews and nieces, William J. Brooks, a student at California Polytechnical School, Hubert Brooks, a student at Hartnell College in Salinas, Calkif., Mrs. David Wallace Jr. of Pittsburgh, Pa., and Miss Jeanne Lawrence, a student at Sterling College in Sterling, Kan.Mr. and Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Lawrence and Mrs. Brooks recently visited with Lockard in his home at Van Nuys, Calif.Services will be held at Van Nuys and interment will be at Forest Lawn Memorial cemetery in Los Angeles, Calif.– Canon City Daily Record

Posted By Eric Martin : May 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Posted By RHS : May 31, 2007 11:47 am

In a word– wow!  Thanks for the personal information, Eric.  I'm amazed to learn Lock was involved with the Spike Jones group… I'll have to look into that.  This part of his obituary slayed me:He was a well proportioned man, possessed a pleasing personality. He liked kids and he never was too big to heed a small fry's request for an autograph or even a lift over the heads of the crowd. His heart was as big as all the 7 feet 7 inches of him.

Posted By RHS : May 31, 2007 11:47 am

Posted By Franklin Peck : January 8, 2008 2:16 am

Dear Family and Friends of Lock Martin,  Thank you for sharing such intimate, as well as very interesting information about the late actor.My father had taken me to see 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' when it was released.  It was quite intense for a then 6 year old kid!I recently purchased the DVD of  this motion picture classic, and share it with my six year old grandson, who loves it. The DVD is a two-sided version, one of which contains those special features, including video interviews with folks involved with the actual filming of the motion picture.There is also a section which has many, many stills…some of which are quite funny, including a gentleman out of camera range helping to hold up the torso of the actress, as Gort "lifts" her!Excellent video quality.  Well worth it.  Thanks again, for the time you've taken to write about this 'Gentle Giant'.Respectfully,  Franklin Peck

Posted By Franklin Peck : January 8, 2008 2:16 am

Posted By Joseph Lockard : January 14, 2009 2:27 am

Ironically, I am a Lockard and have roots in Pennsylvania as well as “Joseph Lockard Martin” did. My great-grandparents were from Pennsylvania too. On my mother’s side of the family I am related to the tallest man who ever lived in the USA, Robert Pershing Wadlow, known as the gentle giant. He was 8′ 11″ tall.
With these two giants in my family tree I am only 5’10″ tall!
Joseph Lockard

Posted By Joseph Lockard : January 14, 2009 2:27 am

With these two giants in my family tree I am only 5’10″ tall!
Joseph Lockard

Posted By Richard Harland Smith : January 14, 2009 10:31 am

Well, long life to you anyway, Joseph Lockard!

Posted By Richard Harland Smith : January 14, 2009 10:31 am

Well, long life to you anyway, Joseph Lockard!

Posted By Medusa : January 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Lockard, I have always been a huge admirer of Robert Wadlow and what an honor it must be to be related to him. I’ve read lots about him, including the “The Gentle Giant” book, and was always struck by his good humor and how much his family appeared to be completely supportive and so fond of him, especially his father, who protected his son’s interests whenever possible.

You have some mighty amazing relatives!

Posted By Medusa : January 14, 2009 8:45 pm

You have some mighty amazing relatives!

Posted By Eric Martin : January 26, 2010 7:13 am

Mr. Joseph Lockard, my relative, Joseph Lockard Martin, was named after the preacher who married his parents – W.S. Lockard. Is he a relative of yours? See below transcript of a remembrance from Lock’s father:

“So the day was set, July 29, 1902, and then we realized we would have to see if the date might conflict with the preacher’s schedule and, of course, that was my job. I remember well going on that errand. Our preacher was W.S. Lockard. It so happened that he was standing in front of the parsonage. After a few formal remarks, I asked if he had an engagement for July 29. He replied, “I will have to refer to my date book.” Then a smile spread over his face and he said, “Joe, are you and Ena planning on getting married on that day?” I told him he guessed it. After looking at his date book, he said it so happens that I am to be in Ocean Grove in New Jersey on that day. “You know, Joe, my brother-in-law, A. Schoyer, is a bachelor and spends a good deal of time when he is not traveling, at the parsonage. He also owns a cottage at Ocean Grove and insists that Mrs. Lockard and I spend a couple of weeks in his cottage at Ocean Grove while the Camp meeting is going on. It so happens, too, that Mr. Shoyer is one of the vice-presidents of the Pennsylvania Railroad and has his own private car, so this won’t be the first time I have asked for the use of his private car to keep an engagement, and some of them less important than this one. So go ahead and make your arrangements and I promise you, I will be at the wedding.”

“And so, on the morning of July 29, 1902, the Chicago Limited switched a private car on to a sidetrack at the Rochester station and Rev. Lockard traveled about 500 miles to keep his engagement on that memorable day. We wished before the day was spent that he had gone back to his private car, for he became the leader in all the development that he and our young friends could think of.”

Posted By Eric Martin : January 26, 2010 7:13 am

Posted By Jamie S. : August 13, 2010 3:47 am

Thanks for the wonderful info on Lock Martin. I believe, however, that the second photo is of Max Palmer, the other giant martian mutant from that great film INVADERS FROM MARS.

Posted By Jamie S. : August 13, 2010 3:47 am

Posted By Richard Fry : April 20, 2011 1:40 pm

I have done extensive research on Joseph Lockard Martin … and interviewed one of his step-daughters. I have also visited his birth home in Pennsylvania … and I have a copy of his death certificate. He was actually only 7’4″ tall. When he began doing promotions for the 7-Up Company, the publicity writers changed his height to 7’7″ as, his daughter said, no one would really know or be able to measure him. At the moment, I have limited access to my research materials, however I can answer a few questions at exclusive54@hotmail.com. I would like to get the dates of when he was on the Groucho Marx Show and the Art Linkletter Show. Richard

Posted By Richard Fry : April 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Posted By J.Patrikes : May 14, 2011 1:32 pm

To Eric Martin :

I have read all your postings regarding Lock Martin Jr. the actor
he sounds like a very unique individual. He would be someone I
wish I could have met. I have truly enjoyed all the films he has
ever been in and I consider myself to be one his biggest fans.
I am also a big collector of autograph memorabilia. I was wondering if by chance you might have a faxscimile of Lock Martin’s signature or you might know where I can obtain it. I
would appreciate any help you can be.

Sincerely,
John Patrkes

Posted By J.Patrikes : May 14, 2011 1:32 pm

To Eric Martin :

I have read all your postings regarding Lock Martin Jr. the actor
he sounds like a very unique individual. He would be someone I
wish I could have met. I have truly enjoyed all the films he has
ever been in and I consider myself to be one his biggest fans.
would appreciate any help you can be.

Sincerely,
John Patrkes

Posted By Jiminy C : November 26, 2012 4:01 am

To all posting contributors,
Thank you for sharing your insightful stories and letters. It is great to get to know and remember the person who brought Gort to life, and left us with such unforgettable and incredible imagery. It is good to know Mr. Martin was a beloved husband and father, certainly deserving of our respect. Some ask, “Who will remember us in a hundred years?” If the inhabitants of earth survive, Mr. Martin’s character may well have played a part in saving it. It has been sixty-four years now, and we still remember . . .
With much appreciation,
Jiminy C

Posted By Jiminy C : November 26, 2012 4:01 am

To all posting contributors,
With much appreciation,
Jiminy C

Posted By Pok : March 25, 2013 4:56 pm

I just wanted to make a simple comment to appreciate you for these precious steps you are sharing on this website. My time consuming internet lookup has at the end of the day been rewarded with pleasant suggestions to talk about with my pals. I would suppose that many of us website visitors actually are definitely fortunate to be in a good community with many marvellous professionals with good tactics. I feel rather privileged to have discovered your entire web site and look forward to really more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thanks a lot again for a lot of things.

Posted By Pok : March 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Posted By Marty F : September 27, 2014 11:27 pm

When I was a little boy my dad had his own GIANT! Actually, my father was president of Arden Farms and employed Mr. Martin to be present at market openings and other public events as a publicity interest. I remember being a little scared of Mr. Martin at first. He was very gentle and kind to me and made otherwise boring events exciting for this little boy. Arden Farms also employed a smallish young man as their company mascot called the Arden Boy. Frequently Mr. Martin and the Arden Boy were photographed together showing the huge contrast in their size.